Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

Washing woollen garments
OK - so I've got a few handknitted items of clothing, a couple of vests, and a couple of sweaters and a hoodie.

All of these are made using natural fibres: some just wool, others with combinations of wool and alpaca and one with a small about of synthetic.

We have an amazing front loading washing machine by Ariston, which has a "wool approved" cycle.

I've not been game yet, should it? I was thinking, if I do, of using soap flakes "melted" in warm water into the bowl.

Waiting, with baited breath, pearls of wisdom from the gals.
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Before you toss some (or all) of your masterpieces into your fancy new washing machine, I would take the time to knit up some swatches using the same yarns as what's in your garments and wash those first. If they come out to your satisfaction, then go for it.

I would hate for you to mess up all your hard work in one fell swoop (or in one "swell foop," whichever you choose). That's my two cents worth!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
What Antares said. I've washed my superwash wool socks in a washing machine but the yarn said it's OK and I tried a swatch first. My daughter has a Miele front loader that would probably do OK with some woolen garments, but if it says hand wash I'd only try it in any machine after doing swatches and maybe not then. That's some really nice yarn you've used, not to mention the hours, days, weeks that you spent on knitting your jumpers and vests.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
I don't think I'd chance it. Too much hard work, learning and love went goes into garments to chance them pilling or felting. I'd hand wash in a special wash (I use Eucalan) and gently blot or roll in a towel and air dry.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,420 Times in 3,099 Posts
I slightly felted a sweater once in my machine and that did it. All the sweat and tears (not so much blood) that went into it! I've handwashed even superwash ever since.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

Ok so you've all spooked me out of this path, thank god. How about taking to the Dry Cleaner? Is that, also, an option for woollens?
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Personally I wouldn't since they use chemicals and you never have control of it once you leave.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #8
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
I wash delicate knits in my machine in cold water on the gentlest setting. Then, I spin them an extra time, to get out as much moisture as I can. Next, I take them out and lay them to dry on a sweater drying rack. No problems.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (04-13-2013), jinxnit55 (04-13-2013), salmonmac (04-14-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
My washer has a 'gentle' setting, supposedly for knits. It's basically a short agitation, long soak, and gentle spin. I let it fill and add some wool wash, let it agitate to disperse the soap, then put the sweaters in. I push them up and down with my hands a bit, but don't let the machine agitate them.

After I let them soak for a while (as in when I remember that they're in there) I let the machine spin them out.

Then I just take them out and let them dry on racks, and if the racks all are full, lay the sweaters out on towels and flip them occasionally.

I think the hardest part of hand washing is getting out enough of the water to expect them to dry within the month, so the spinning of the machine takes care of that.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (04-13-2013), salmonmac (04-14-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

For what it's worth. My daughter bought a brand new top of the line HE washer and dryer a few months ago. She uses cloth diapers and wool covers knit by me for the baby. Even with the fancy machine, she still hand washes these. We found out several things. Diaper covers made with 100% wool have extraordinary properties that enable them to keep the baby dry. Superwash wool contains some acrylic. We know because they don't keep the baby dry like 100% wool. You don't need to buy a special detergent for washing wool. Our aim, of course, is to preserve or restore the naturally occurring moisture repellent in wool. You don't need to spend a lot of money buying special soap online. We use baby shampoo with a few drops of liquid lanolin added. You can get lanolin at any pharmacy. It's frequently sold as a moisturizer for nursing mothers. You can handwash your sweaters and hang them on plastic hangers in the shower to drip dry.