Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
DonnaPotter
Casting On

Photo Circular triangle shawl "easy level" PLEASE help
I have started my Triangle Shawl project over at least 4 times because I don't understand how I am getting increased stitches between my two center markers. Something is going wrong with my YO and other sl marker steps around my center 2markers!
My knitting error is causing the center of my triangle shawl ROW and large HOLE pattern to move and look off/odd. (Sorry seems my photos are to large to attach of my knitting error - maybe operator error lol)

I need assist in understanding what row my error is beginning on as the first 7 or so rows are fine showing the required one stitch between my two markers.

The increase pattern calls for "sl marker" and I believe that just means slip one marker (and not a stitch as well)?
I am yo before (not between) markers as in knitting, I do have a row of purl in my repeats but the patter does not state to yo as if knitting nor as purling.

I am new to knitting and hope my question/problem is clear. Donna potter

Last edited by DonnaPotter : 04-13-2013 at 12:01 PM.
DonnaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
DonnaPotter
Casting On

Donna potter photo error triangle shawl
Hope this photo can be viewed to assist in my previous question
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	56565  
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,113 Times in 2,827 Posts
Hi Donna and welcome to KH!
Can you tell us the name of the pattern or give us a pattern link? You're right that slip marker just means to move the marker from the left to the right needle without moving a stitch.
If you yarn over on the front side and purl across the next row, the yarn over is purled too. One possibility is that the marker is moving out of postion because of the yarn overs. It may help to keep track of the number of loops over the needle between the markers and make sure that you have the right number until you purl the sts. Purling should help keep the markers in place.
DonnaPotter (04-13-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
I merged the two posts so it's all in one place. Next time if you forget a picture you can just hit reply and add it to your original comment. Makes it easier to help you. Welcome to KH!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
DogCatMom (04-13-2013), DonnaPotter (04-13-2013), GrumpyGramma (04-12-2013), salmonmac (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,730 Times in 2,298 Posts
Quote:
the patter does not state to yo as if knitting nor as purling.
When I yarn over, I wrap the yarn as if I'm making a normal stitch and then leave it in the back if the next stitch is a knit or bring it to the front if I'm going to purl next. If the yarn is over the needle one time, oriented correctly, and is in the correct position to do the next stitch, that's all that matters. I don't know if that makes sense or helps any, I thought I'd offer it just in case it will.

There should only be 1 stitch between the markers?

Can you link to the pattern, or at least give us its name and where you got it from? That might help.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
DonnaPotter (04-13-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
DonnaPotter
Casting On

Knitting patter number
Thank y'all so much for helping me & I look forward to your reply.
My pattern is: Lion Brand patter number 80982AD Splendid Triangle Shawl photo attached but not sure the copy is clear /can attach another copy when I'm back home.

Donna

QUOTE=DonnaPotter;1374528]I have started my Triangle Shawl project over at least 4 times because I don't understand how I am getting increased stitches between my two center markers. Something is going wrong with my YO and other sl marker steps around my center 2markers!
My knitting error is causing the center of my triangle shawl ROW and large HOLE pattern to move and look off/odd. (Sorry seems my photos are to large to attach of my knitting error - maybe operator error lol)

I need assist in understanding what row my error is beginning on as the first 7 or so rows are fine showing the required one stitch between my two markers.

The increase pattern calls for "sl marker" and I believe that just means slip one marker (and not a stitch as well)?
I am yo between markers as in knitting, I do have a row of purl in my repeats but the patter does not state to yo as if knitting nor as purling.

I am new to knitting and hope my question/problem is clear. Donna potter[/quote]
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	56566  
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
DonnaPotter
Casting On

Oops just shaw your merge response. My pattern is Splendid Triangle Shaw number 80982AD using (Lion Brand yarn)
I attached a copy of my instructions but my copy has my writing notes on it. When I return home in about 3 hrs I can attach a better copy if needed. Thanks so much for your help! Donna
Old 04-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Here's the link. Splendid Triangle Shaw

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,113 Times in 2,827 Posts
In your photo, it does indeed look like the sts between the markers are increasing in number and that's not correct. The pattern calls for a single stitch between the markers in every row:
Row 5: K 2, yo, k to marker, yo, sl marker, k 1, sl marker, yo, k to last 2 sts, yo, k 2 – 15 sts.
Row 9: K 2, *yo, k2tog, rep from * to 1 st before marker, yo, k 1, yo, sl marker, k 1, sl marker, yo, k 1, **yo, k2tog, rep from ** to last 2 sts, yo, k 2 – 23 sts.

I would rip back to the last row that has a single stitch between the markers and try the next row watching that you maintain one stitch between markers on the even and odd rows. Make sure the yo isn't slipping under the marker iand next to the central backbone knit one. If the yo is shifting, move it to outside the marker. Also, the yarn over doesn't use a stitch, it occurs between two stitches like this.

Pattern link: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80982AD.html
DonnaPotter (04-13-2013), GrumpyGramma (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

From the pattern:

Row 3: K 2, yo, k 1, yo, place marker, k 1, place marker, yo, k 1, yo, k 2 11 sts.
Row 4: Knit.
Row 5: K 2, yo, k to marker, yo, sl marker, k 1, sl marker, yo, k to last 2 sts, yo, k 2 15 sts.
Row 6: K 2, p to last 2 sts, k 2.
Rows 78: Rep Rows 5 and 6 19 sts.

"I am yo between markers as in knitting,"

Do you mean that you're doing a yo between the markers? If so, that's part of the problem. I bolded in Row 5 to show that you k, slm, k so that there is one stitch between the markers. That stitch is the center of the shawl and you can see in the pattern picture the pattern the eyelets (holes) should be making.

Have I confused you more? I've worked the first 6 rows and find no problem with the pattern as written. Maybe if you have some cheap yarn lying around you could do a test run with it until you figure out what's going wrong.