Old 04-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
DonnaPotter
Casting On

Sorry I was out of town and could not view all comments until now.
So I'll read all replys now and see if I can figure out my mistakes. But one area that im sure now that I have been making is my yo (s) pertaining to the yo after my purl row. (i can view a youtube on this process to ensure i am putting my yo(s) on my needle correctly for k & p rows. Currently reviewing all comments. Normally I would reply faster but but was on the road majority of yesterday. I can't believe you and others are actually helping me this SITE is so great! Best regards Donna
DonnaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
DonnaPotter
Casting On

Wow what a great reply. Regarding "rip" back......would love to be able to do this. Each time I have started over on my project I have taken all stitches off my circular needle. So I would love your advise on how to RIP back to the my last row that has the correct number (1st) between my markers. While I know how to go back a few stitches to correct a mistake and pickup up dropped stitches I am not advanced enough to know how to rip back. Do you know of a link or video on ripping back on circular needles. Thank you so much for your help and further reply. I'm actually knitting this shawl as a gift for my best friend who recently lost her father. Again kudos to you for your expert advise!!!!!

Last edited by DonnaPotter : 04-13-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Changes incorrect auto correction word "reopen" to "rip back"
Old 04-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
DonnaPotter
Casting On

I am NOT yarning over between stitches. I'm now working to understand how to rip back to my last row with the correct number of sts (1) on my circular needle. Your a sweet heart and not grumpy lol. Your expert advise was/is sooooooo awesome! Donna potter

Last edited by DonnaPotter : 04-13-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
DonnaPotter
Casting On

Could you explain "bring my yarn" to the front when my YO is after a purl row. I understand your yo and leave in back after knit row! Thanks dpotter
Old 04-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Here's a video for ripping back and getting the stitches on the needle again:

Inserting a needle before unraveling
Just a note: Amy says "cable needle" and really she means "circular needle." A cable needle is for working cables.

When you've done that, you might want to use a lifeline.
Using a Lifeline
Should you make a mistake and have to frog ("rip it! rip it!") you'll be able to get the stitches back on the needle more easily. I currently am using two lifelines. I put one in at the beginning of the pattern repeats and move the first one up at the beginning of the next repeat. I'm using crochet thread.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
DonnaPotter
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
In your photo, it does indeed look like the sts between the markers are increasing in number and that's not correct. The pattern calls for a single stitch between the markers in every row:
Row 5: K 2, yo, k to marker, yo, sl marker, k 1, sl marker, yo, k to last 2 sts, yo, k 2 – 15 sts.
Row 9: K 2, *yo, k2tog, rep from * to 1 st before marker, yo, k 1, yo, sl marker, k 1, sl marker, yo, k 1, **yo, k2tog, rep from ** to last 2 sts, yo, k 2 – 23 sts.

I would rip back to the last row that has a single stitch between the markers and try the next row watching that you maintain one stitch between markers on the even and odd rows. Make sure the yo isn't slipping under the marker iand next to the central backbone knit one. If the yo is shifting, move it to outside the marker. Also, the yarn over doesn't use a stitch, it occurs between two stitches like this.

Pattern link: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80982AD.html
I think you just made a major error clear....the knit to last stich before my marker.....yo, k1, yo, sl marker. Wow I'll try to watch this & many tks Donna
Old 04-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
DonnaPotter
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Here's a video for ripping back and getting the stitches on the needle again:

Inserting a needle before unraveling
Just a note: Amy says "cable needle" and really she means "circular needle." A cable needle is for working cables.

When you've done that, you might want to use a lifeline.
Using a Lifeline
Should you make a mistake and have to frog ("rip it! rip it!") you'll be able to get the stitches back on the needle more easily. I currently am using two lifelines. I put one in at the beginning of the pattern repeats and move the first one up at the beginning of the next repeat. I'm using crochet thread.
Wow awesome I guess thats why my pattern instructions called for those needles LOL. Ill check these links out. YIPIEE I'm so excited that It looks as through I'll be able to restart to my correct row and actually FINISH my triangle shawl this go-round! I can't thank you enough for all your expert advise!!!!!!! Sincerely thankful Donna potter from texas
Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
DonnaPotter
Casting On

Originally Posted by DonnaPotter View Post
Wow awesome I guess thats why my pattern instructions called for those needles LOL. Ill check these links out. YIPIEE I'm so excited that It looks as through I'll be able to restart to my correct row and actually FINISH my triangle shawl this go-round! I can't thank you enough for all your expert advise!!!!!!! Sincerely thankful Donna potter from texas
Insert the needle where actually?

Last edited by DonnaPotter : 04-13-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Oops never mind on my question "insert the needle where" I'll see if I can view the video you mentioned
Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Sorry I was out of town and could not view all comments until now.
So I'll read all replys now and see if I can figure out my mistakes. But one area that im sure now that I have been making is my yo (s) pertaining to the yo after my purl row. (i can view a youtube on this process to ensure i am putting my yo(s) on my needle correctly for k & p rows. Currently reviewing all comments. Normally I would reply faster but but was on the road majority of yesterday. I can't believe you and others are actually helping me this SITE is so great! Best regards Donna
This site is great. It's here that I learned just about everything I know about knitting and how to find things when I need to. I'm still learning so much from everyone!

BTW I'm not an expert, there are experts here and they are my mentors. I do them and their wonderful teaching. Sometimes I get to pass along what I've learned through them. That makes me feel really good.

I am NOT yarning over between stitches. I'm now working to understand how to rip back to my last row with the correct number of sts (1) on my circular needle. Your a sweet heart and not grumpy lol. Your expert advise was/is sooooooo awesome! Donna potter
Puleeeeze! I do have a reputation to maintain.

OK, so you're not doing a yo so something else is going on. I find that the only way I can really figure out how to do it right, and often I don't figure out what I did wrong, is to just keep at it with yarn I can sacrifice to learning until I get it right.
Quote:
Could you explain "bring my yarn" to the front when my YO is after a purl row. I understand your yo and leave in back after knit row! Thanks dpotter
When all is said and done, a yo is simply a matter of the yarn is lying across the needle. When you wrap the yarn as if to knit it is lying across the needle and the working yarn is in back of your work; if you need to purl next, just move it between the needles as you would to be ready to purl making sure the strand is still over your needle (it will then be wrapped around, not just over, the needle.) It took me quite a while to figure out what the instructions given in writing and various videos really boiled down to. If this doesn't help you, please just disregard it all and go with what does. We all see and interpret things differently.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
DonnaPotter
Casting On

Got it/got it......but I can't find a video that explains how to YO when required AFTER my LAST row that was purled. Maybe if I'm required to YO on the row that I'm knitting it doesn't matter that I pulled on the last row???? I found the video on yo when purling.....but my patter (splendid triangle shawl does not call for this task). On the road again soon so I hope you can reply. Many advance thanks Donna potter