Old 04-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Antares
Working the Gusset

One thing to be aware of when using separate balls of yarn to knit all the way across is that things can become a knotty mess if you're not paying attention. I put each ball in a separate container and then made sure the ball I was getting ready to use was on the correct side (i.e., first in line and not twisted around any other strands). That was a bit of a pain, but really, it wasn't too much trouble once you get used to rearranging containers every time you flip your work around.

You also have to pay particular attention to shaping and be sure you know which side is the sleeve side and which side is the neckline side. You most likely won't have trouble with that since your button bands will be in a different color.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
What's the point I'd 3 skeins? It seems unnecessarily annoying to say nothing of the gap between yarns Wouldn't markers work? That's what I'd do.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #13
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
I think she means working both fronts and back at the same time, each would require its own yarn. I don't see how markers would make any difference in how many balls of yarn are needed. Working each piece separately would keep from needing multiple balls. I'm lost with the gap between yarns.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I was trying to figure it out based on the idea of knitting it seamlessly. Which I would still do over using 3 skeins. I've used multiple skeins at once for helix hats and it can be a pain to keep them from getting too tangled. I know you do two socks at once though so I'm sure it's not as daunting to you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
I see! Yeah, the yarn can definitely get tangled but if I pay attention when I'm doing socks, it's really minimal. Knitting all pieces at the same time or each alone, 3 needle bind offs will get rid of shoulder seaming. I've got to try the pick up and knit set-in sleeves still. Eliminating that seam sounds heavenly. I expect it could be done on this pattern if one knows how and is brave enough to try it.

I'd prefer knitting one sock on a circ as I think you do but I get mixed up on what to do on which one, when every time I try it. SSS keeps me from just doing one at a time.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post

I'd prefer knitting one sock on a circ as I think you do but I get mixed up on what to do on which one, when every time I try it. SSS keeps me from just doing one at a time.
That's why I do two at once, but on SEPARATE needles. Do toe on both, then knit to gusset on both, etc. Otherwise I never get the second one done!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
Antares
Working the Gusset

So you would do the entire cardigan in the round and then steek it?

Well, some of us aren't very comfortable with steeks yet, which is why I do three separate balls of yarn when I get to the arm shaping divide. I did this with a sweater not too long ago, and it was quite easy to keep all the balls/yarn untangled--in fact, much more doable (at this point in my knitting life) than steeking. And I liked this a lot better than doing one side at a time, too.

It was just a recommendation: so take it or leave it!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
SimoneB
Ribbing the Cuff

I think I'll probably try knitting all three pieces at once after dividing for the arms - and see if I can manage it or if it turns out a big fat mess!

This'll be my first go at 3 needle bind off as well, so I'll have to get some dpns (which I have been putting off).

Quote:
I've got to try the pick up and knit set-in sleeves still. Eliminating that seam sounds heavenly. I expect it could be done on this pattern if one knows how and is brave enough to try it.
I have to admit that I'm not crazy about picking up stitches either... I have had a nearly finished vest lying around in my knitting basket for quite a while now, it probably took me a month before I did the ribbing around the neckline, then it sat for another couple of months until I finally did the button bands this weekend. Now all that is left to do is the ribbing around the armholes, and I keep telling myself "tonight I'll do it!" and then not doing it.
SimoneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,287 Times in 2,974 Posts
"This'll be my first go at 3 needle bind off as well, so I'll have to get some dpns (which I have been putting off)."
You're getting the dpns just for the 3 needle bind off? You don't need them (unless you'd like some for other reasons). You can slip the sts from the back shoulder onto any smaller size needle and then use one end of circular fot the front shoulder. Use the other end of the circular to knit the bind off. I'm assuming the circular is the needle you've used to knit fronts and back and it's the only one that matters for the gauge of the bind off. You'll love 3-needle bind off- so sturdy and neat looking.
GrumpyGramma (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
SimoneB
Ribbing the Cuff

Ah, that's great! I'm actually looking forward to trying it out now
SimoneB is offline   Reply With Quote