Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

How do you define an "intermediate" knitter?
A former knitting friend said she thought I am an intermediate knitter. I've been knitting since 2010 and can knit socks, hats, ribbing, seed stitch, knit a lace hat once....can work an M1.

Dabbled with several cast on methods blah blah.

So, how do you define an intermediate knitter?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

I define it as anyone that can knit better than me.
I learned to knit when I was 9 and never really did anything with it until now. I have made scarves, hats, baby booties, wash cloths with cables in them and that is about it. So am I a beginner or intermediate?
HeathersHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeathersHobbies For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I've yet to do cables, myself. I can do discloths, scarves...

I think I'd have done more lace and done a sweater etc but I have severe "mommy brain" right now!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
I suppose technically you'd be considered intermediate, but those labels are difficult. Some beginners start off doing things like socks or a cabled sweater and yet you wouldn't define someone who is new as intermediate. So I dunno. Bravery to attempt difficult projects is part and how do you define that?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
HeathersHobbies
1st Leg of the Journey

Who cares what we are. As long as we are happy knitting
I have been crocheting for 30 years now but I don't consider my self an expert. I think I am intermediate. I know what I am doing and can make anything from a pattern.
HeathersHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeathersHobbies For This Useful Post:
ad2knit (04-23-2013), justplaincharlotte (04-22-2013), N0obKnitter (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Antares
Working the Gusset

I agree that it doesn't matter what you call yourself (or even consider yourself); however, what does matter is the type of patterns you plan to do. It's always good to read through patterns and figure out whether you know how to do all the required skills or if you'll need help. And while it's a good idea to challenge yourself, you don't want to be so challenged that you become frustrated.

Of course, with KH and YouTube and so many other great knitting sites, it's pretty easy to learn something at point of use (or on the fly) and do a fairly advanced pattern. As I'm sure you're aware, though, just doing something once or twice doesn't make you a pro at it. I often have to watch videos and do something several times before I can wean myself off the computer and do it myself. Then if I remember how to do it several months or years later, then I've learned that skill pretty well.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (04-22-2013), N0obKnitter (04-22-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I find it a bit frustrating when signing up for classes. I'm going to Stitches Midwest in August and was a little frustrated in signing up for the classes as I know from experience there are intermediate classes and then there are INTERMEDIATE classes. I like challenges but it's hard to know just how challenging a class is going to be til you get there. I pretty much signed up for basic classes that had things in them that I haven't done yet. That way I know/hope I won't get frustrated.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

I think of an intermediate knitter as someone who looks at a string of abbreviations or some instructions for a new technique and doesn't break out in a cold sweat. Instead they think "I can do that. I may have to pay attention and go slow for a bit until I 'get it', but I can do it."

I've never really thought about my definition of an advanced knitter, but following on from the above I guess I would define an advance knitter as some who knows they can do something, even it they've never done it before.

ABC's Mom I never attended knitting classes (blessed with both my mother and grandmother being able to knit and teach me) but I do think that the criteria or syllabus should make it clear what knowledge the students need to have before starting the class. I also think it should be made clear when a class is labelled Beginner, Intermediate etc that that level refers to knitting as a whole or just to that method/technique. For example, a class for 'Beginners in Fairisle' could be too advanced for someone who is a beginner at knitting, but the right level for someone who is an overall intermediate, but new to Fairisle.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
ABC's Mom (04-26-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
Good response, Clutter! I especially agree with what you said to ABCmom. They should have that info on classes.

By that definition I'd be advanced. I know I can do anything and patterns don't scare or confuse me. I just ask or look up what I don't know. I choose not to do some things because I tend to prefer mindless right now. I'd never describe myself as advanced though. Why? Because I've only been knitting since 2005.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Sleepystitcher
Casting On

I've been knitting since 1974 when my oldest was born, but I'd still consider myself somewhere between a beginner and intermediate. Most of my knitting has been simple things, like hats, children's raglan sweaters, booties, baby tube socks, baby hats, and such. I found cables to be a lot of fun once I got the hang of it. I was in the process of making a fisherman sweater at one point but lost it in a house fire. I stopped knitting for a few years and when I picked it back up so much had changed. New terminology and methods of doing what used to be simple things have thrown me for a loop. I've never learned to knit socks. I would like to learn, but I live in an area where it doesn't get that cold in the winter and for that reason my husband says he doesn't need or want knit socks. So, no reason to learn. I guess until my granddaughter is old enough for more fashionable things, I'll stick with the simple stuff and try to learn and re-learn some of the more complicated stitches as I go.

My Blog
Sleepystitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleepystitcher For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (04-25-2013)