Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Rainy113
Casting On

Am I a dummy or is this normal? LOL!
Stared knitting simple scarfs etc about 6 months ago. Just started my first pattern - a shawl. I've had to frog it and start over about 4 times now because I keep losing my place, dropping stitches, etc. I use a row counter and pattern in plastic with an Expo to mark rows as I go. But I still lose my place, do the wrong stitches and have no idea how to tink when doing knits, yarnovers, and togs.

Will this come with practice or is this just not for me? I knit about 2-3 times a week usually but some weeks not at all. Just wondering how long it took others to become proficient. Thanks!!
Rainy113 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
crazykntter83
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to crazykntter83
It's different with everyone, but I would say that it's normal to do this with a pattern. When you're first starting, patterns can be so hard to understand, there's so many abbreviations and it's hard to keep track of where you're at. Heck I still have issues keeping track of where I'm at in more complicated patterns, and I've been knitting from patterns for at least 5 years now lol. The good news is, yes, it does get easier. Soon enough you'll be reading from patterns with ease. Don't get discouraged, you'll get it eventually!!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Hang in there, it'll come. Sort of like playing the piano. You're not going to be able to play Beethoven right away without error. . .

Now that you have the techniques down, read your knitting. Work a section and see what you've accomplished and how a particular set of stitches came together. When you work a certain increase or decrease, look at it. See what the end result looks like.

As you work a lace pattern, notice how the knit stitch goes in the yarn-over every time on a particular row to create the pattern. This way, when it doesn't on the next half of the row you know you've done something wrong.

Just examples of things I have done and still do that took me from being a pattern knitter to a knitter who consults with patterns.

I still make mistakes, but I often catch them as they hatch.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (05-01-2013), justplaincharlotte (05-03-2013), salmonmac (05-02-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Lifelines! You need lifelines! There are lots of videos about them. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+with+liflines Take your pick or find another, but do get acquainted with them, they'll save your sanity. Stitch markers too. If you use stitch markers to mark the beginning a repeat you can tell if you're on or off at that point and it's easier and less painful to tink back a set of stitches than to frog lots of rows.

Normal? Yeah, I'd say so. Dummy? Nope! As crazykntter83 said, it gets easier.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (05-03-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Rainy113
Casting On

These are some great tips. I will use everyone of them!

I can't believe I didn't think about lifelines! I actually used them when I first started. And stitch markers. I'm using one to mark the middle but it makes sense to mark each repeat, at least until I get used to it.

So happy to have this resource. I can always count on the best advice here!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Quote:
I still make mistakes, but I often catch them as they hatch.
Thank you for that, Ingrid. It's very encouraging. I remember coming across your Beatrix Potter Blanket and hope one day to be able to come close to doing something that fantastic! I find I'm catching more of my mistakes before they get to be real problems and I'm using stitch markers to make sure I'm on track with the pattern I'm working now.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #7
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Yup! Stitch markers rule! I just finished a beret with a simple pattern in it and the stitch markers made it easy!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
Lots of good advice and links to videos above. Reading your knitting, as Ingrid mentioned and making sure the lace pattern with it's increases, decreases and yarn overs lines up as you knit the next row is critcal.
Here's a new video for re-inserting your needle into a lace pattern that may help too.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Rainy113
Casting On

Yes, that video is very helpful. Also it's good to hear that even seasoned knitters still make mistakes! Now off to Joanns to pick up more stitch markers! LOL!