Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Woodi
Turning the Heel

can't figure out one line of pattern
making this flowerburst dischcloth (nice gift). Found it on Allfreeknitting.com. Isn't it pretty?

but I cannot figure out the 3rd row, which says:

K1,(P1,yo,K1,yo) 4 times, P1,K1 ....which gives you an increase of 8 stitches.
You see, if you P1,yo....your'e now ready for a regular knit stitch ....and you don't get an increase. I tried wrapping the yarn all around the needle but that didn't work.
I'll give you rows 1&2, but it's a very long pattern, so I won't type it all in here. You can get it over at allfreeknitting.com. Search for 'Flowerburst dischcloth'.

Here are rows 1 to 3....if you want to try it. Thanks a bunch!

With A, cast on 6 sts.
1st row: (RS). (K1. yo) 5 times. K1. 11 sts.
2nd row: (P1. K1) 5 times. P1.
3rd row: K1. (P1. yo. K1. yo) 4 times. P1. K1. 19 sts.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
WolfWalker
Ribbing the Cuff

To do a P1, YO, K1 you work the purl stitch as normal, then leave your working yarn in front, insert needle into next stitch as to knit, then bring the working yarn up and over the needle to complete the knit 1 stitch. That will make a yarn over. :^)

Debra in NC

PS - That's a very pretty dishcloth!
WolfWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #3
verongome
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to verongome Send a message via Skype™ to verongome
Wow the pattern and colours combination looks great, Thanks anyways

Last edited by verongome : 07-06-2013 at 04:00 AM.
verongome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Debra: I get the yo for the knit stitch, but how do I yo for the following purl stitch? if I just pull the yarn fwd, it makes a normal purl stitch. Do I purl with yarn in back?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,736 Times in 2,303 Posts
Everything you never wanted to know about yarn overs
Yarn Over 101

Actually I have it playing now, I think what you want may be in it.

She knits Continental, it might be a bit different in English. I dunno. You can look at newstitchaday.com too.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Dclutterchique (04-30-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
Debra: I get the yo for the knit stitch, but how do I yo for the following purl stitch? if I just pull the yarn fwd, it makes a normal purl stitch. Do I purl with yarn in back?
Hello Woodi.

I take it from your comment that you are doing your purl stitch then taking the yarn over the right needle to the back of your work and then when you do the second purl the yarn then returns to the front as if you hadn't done a YO in the first place.

The way to do a YO between 2 purl stitches is to work the 1st purl as normal then do a YRN (yarn round needle) where you take the yarn over the needle from front to back and then under the needle to bring it back to the front ready for the 2nd purl stitch.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny

Last edited by Dclutterchique : 04-30-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Gave wrong information!
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,116 Times in 2,829 Posts
"...how do I yo for the following purl stitch? if I just pull the yarn fwd, it makes a normal purl stitch."
For the K1, yo, P1, the easiest thing to do is to knit the stitch, bring the yarn forward between the needles, over the right needle to the back and then around and between the needles to the front again to purl the next stitch.
Dclutterchique (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Thank you everyone!

.......taking this pattern with me in long car ride today, for cardio-rehab, a 16-week program to get me back to 'better-than-normal'. I was sick for a long time and didn't know it.

Isn't it strange how that works? Years ago, when depression had me in its depths and I could take Prozac for 5 months (before the side-effect seized up my joints and I had to quit)....I remember thinking then: "Wow, I was so sad before and thought that was normal; now I have a new normal".

Same with heart issues....post surgery:a new normal.

Last edited by Woodi : 04-30-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Yarn Over 101

Actually I have it playing now, I think what you want may be in it.

She knits Continental, it might be a bit different in English. I dunno. You can look at newstitchaday.com too.
GrumpuGramma, the method is the same for English and Continental, so thanks for a good link for all of us.

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
"...how do I yo for the following purl stitch? if I just pull the yarn fwd, it makes a normal purl stitch."
For the K1, yo, P1, the easiest thing to do is to knit the stitch, bring the yarn forward between the needles, over the right needle to the back and then around and between the needles to the front again to purl the next stitch.
Salmonmac, thanks for noticing that Woodi was asking how to do a YO from a knit to purl and not from a purl to a purl as I thought .

Woodi, Salmonmac has given the right answer so follow her advice.

If anyone wants to get really technical Salmonmac is giving instructions on how to do a YF (yarn forward) combined with a YRN (yarn round needle) in on movement.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,736 Times in 2,303 Posts
Woodi, I'm so glad you asked this! Have a safe trip.

Julie, thanks for pointing out that English style is the same. I couldn't see any reason why not but sometimes some little something can differ and make a whole big difference in application. I tend to move the yarn and needles so that I'm ready to make the next stitch and if I do my yo on that side then everything's ready for the next stitch and I don't think about the mechanics involved. When I do that I get too muddled. The method of knitting or purling with the yarn starting out on the other side is something I have to remember to try. I've learned a lot about yarn overs and why there are various names for ending up with the same result. They're really telling you how to do it. Someone, somewhere, sometime in a thread here said pretty much the same thing but at the time I didn't really get it.

Knit on!

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote