Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
rubywin
Casting On

help with row
I am wanting to knit the bobble bag which featured in Simply Knitting recently. I cannot work out this row:

K2, (K1 winding yarn round needle twice) four times, K2, P1

The first row is making the bobbles and I can work that one out but I get lost in this next row. Is the instruction in the bracket part of the K2 at the beginning of the row?

Thank you for your help.
rubywin is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,833 Posts
The K2 only happens once at the beginning of the row.
For this row, K2 and then repeat (K1 winding yarn round needle twice) 4times, and end the row K2, P1. The section you've quoted requires 9sts. and will leave you with 13sts.
I couldn't find any errata online for this bag.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/boutique-chic
Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
rubywin
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
The K2 only happens once at the beginning of the row.
For this row, K2 and then repeat (K1 winding yarn round needle twice) 4times, and end the row K2, P1. The section you've quoted requires 9sts. and will leave you with 13sts.
I couldn't find any errata online for this bag.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/boutique-chic
Thanks so much for your reply. That is what I thought to do but I cannot get the stitches to work out. Here is the complete two rows and I have real trouble on row 2.
Row 1:
P2 *K into front, back, front and back of next st, P2, K1, P2; rep from * to last 3 sts, K into front, back, front and back of next st, P2.
Row 2:
*K2, (K1 winding yarn round needle twice) 4 times, K2, P1; rep from * to last 8 sts, K2, (K1 winding yarn round needle twice) 4 times, K2.
I end up after row 1 with 47 sts but on row 2 I do not have the last 8, I end up with 10/11 sts. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Ok, this is different:
*K2, (K1 winding yarn round needle twice) 4 times, K2, P1; rep from * to last 8 sts, K2, (K1 winding yarn round needle twice) 4 times, K2.
In this case the K2 is included in the repeat because of the asterisks. The repeat is underlined above. In each case, the stitches that were made by knitting front, back, front, and back on the previous row are the same 4 sts that you knit wrapping the yarn twice around the needle. As you do the second row, check that that is what's happening and it should work out to 8sts left for the end of the row.
OK, I think the problem may be with row 1. You begin row 1 with 47sts (that's 7 repeats plus) and end it with 71sts. That's because you increase 3 sts every time you do the knit front, back, front and back. There are 8 of those for an increase of 24sts (47+24=71sts). I'm guessing at the number of repeats here so please let me know how many sts you have when you begin row 1. We'll get there.

Last edited by salmonmac : 05-03-2013 at 07:52 AM.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
rubywin
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Ok, this is different:
In this case the K2 is included in the repeat because of the asterisks. The repeat is underlined above. In each case, the stitches that were made by knitting front, back, front, and back on the previous row are the same 4 sts that you knit wrapping the yarn twice around the needle. As you do the second row, check that that is what's happening and it should work out to 8sts left for the end of the row.
OK, I think the problem may be with row 1. You begin row 1 with 47sts (that's 7 repeats plus) and end it with 71sts. That's because you increase 3 sts every time you do the knit front, back, front and back. There are 8 of those for an increase of 24sts (47+24=71sts). I'm guessing at the number of repeats here so please let me know how many sts you have when you begin row 1. We'll get there.
Thank you thank you! You were so right my problem was with row 1. Unfortunately, I did not read the instructions for that row correctly but once that was sorted.....well row 2 fell into place.

Thanks once again for your help, so much appreciated.

The bag is knitting up like a charm and looking good!!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

I'm so delighted! We'd love to see a picture of the finished bag if you'd like to post one.
rubywin (05-03-2013)