Old 05-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #31
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Skype™ to Marg1e
Reminds me of all those years ago when I taught English as a Second Language (for the short time I could stand it: I rapidly became disenchanted with the whole industry) ... Felt obliged to point out that my mother tongue actually does have rules, but that virtually every one, once stated, must be followed by the qualifier "except when ...".
:-\

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #32
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I'm the last person you want to ask this question. I knit Eastern European where the working yarn is always in back of the work for both knit and purl. English and Continental knitters would say my stitches are on the needle backwards. The bottom line is that whatever method you use, the finished work all looks the same. Use whatever you're comfortable with. There's no knitting police here.
N0obKnitter (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #33
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Thanks for the laughs!

I don't think there IS a correct way to hold your yarn. It's whatever works for you.

It took me a long time to master long-tail cast on, but now I love it. I hate having to teach it to anyone, though.

There has been someone coming to my school to teach knitting and lead interested students in making squares for a charity project. I give her all due kudos for doing this, but I have to say when she started with trying to teach LTCO by standing in the front of the room, I cringed. I ended up casting on for most of the kids and once those who wanted to knit learned how, I showed them the knitted cast on. They were grateful. A couple did learn it, though!

On a side note, I wish I could show the picture of the 6'5" Blood sitting next to the self-proclaimed Crip sitting, knitting, and chatting. Now if we could push knitting in the Middle East. . .

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #34
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Quote:
On a side note, I wish I could show the picture of the 6'5" Blood sitting next to the self-proclaimed Crip sitting, knitting, and chatting. Now if we could push knitting in the Middle East. . .
I'd love to see that!

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #35
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

By all the gods, success at that would change ... THE WORLD !
Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #36
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
They were knitting with chopsticks so there wasn't even a threat of hostilities! One of them held his square up to his face like burglar's mask. I told him that if I heard a report of a crime having been committed by a tall, black man with a colorful, hand-knitted bandana covering his face, I was gonna turn him in!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #37
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
I don't think there IS a correct way to hold your yarn. It's whatever works for you.
If there is one major-most-important-don't-you-ever-forget-it thing I've learned here, it's that whatever works for you is the right way!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #38
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,730 Times in 7,103 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
If there is one major-most-important-don't-you-ever-forget-it thing I've learned here, it's that whatever works for you is the right way!
I say that a lot. I got tired of continental knitters saying their method was better which kind of made new english knitters feel like we were less than adequate or just as accomplished. .

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (05-09-2013), Shandeh (05-08-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #39
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Anyone saying their way the right way for everyone, no matter what they're talking about, gets on my nerves. I really truly detest some of the youtube videos that make it look like English knitters are all but throwing their arms around. It reminds me of those gosh awful commercials where someone with a knife is supposedly trying to cut something and is being a danger to themselves and others. That doesn't sell me the product they're advertising and making English knitting look clownish doesn't make me want to knit Continental. Now that I can finally do knit stitches English style, I think I can better understand why some prefer it. If I'm knitting with yarn in one hand only, it's still Continental for me but that's my comfort zone and that's all it is. You and others here who knit English have taught me so much, how could I possibly consider my way better? When my GKs learned to do knit stitches, I taught them to do it English because that's what they wanted.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
crazykntter83 (05-09-2013), Jan in CA (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #40
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

I did spend a fair bit of time trying to learn to crochet in the 'approved' manner - i.e., yarn in left hand, etc. - simply because I thought it would be nice to be able to use yarn with a metallic thread in it. I was crocheting a throw for friends based on a stained glass motif (duly acknowledged when I was in Ravelry), and a black with metallic thread would've been perfect for the 'leading' parts ...
But I simply couldn't maintain it. I mean, I did understand what I was being told, and did manage to actually do it; but I couldn't keep it up! - my fingers were far too used to my 'single needle knitting' style. So the throw was made with plain black for the leading.
And here it is ... you can imagine what the flecked black would've looked like; and so I do regret my inability to DO IT RIGHT! - but only for that reason! :-)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	56645