Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #51
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,268 Times in 2,760 Posts
Convince them you absolutely must put in an appearance in Seattle to promote your book here in the U.S. I'll come for an autographed copy...I hate going to Seattle, I'd make DD take me and make an exception. The publishers will pay for your trip of course.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #52
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Skype™ to Marg1e
Oh, undoubtedly. They haven't indicated that they wish to transport me from Sydney to Perth for a local launch, but I'm sure they'll want to get me over to the US of A ...
If only.
See below re Fremantle Press. I have no idea how this works; all I know is that their publishing list is really impressive - quality stuff - and I wanted to be part of that. If you like, I'll let you know how it all goes - although it's far more exciting for me than for you.
And now I reckon my bread will've cooled enough to be attacked with a breadknife; so off I go to do that. My tummy's rumbling!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	FP.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	56649  
Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #53
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Yeah, I'd love a glimpse inside the life of an author. This thread may fall into history but you've got your blog thread too.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #54
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
We did go off the rails a bit in this thread, but I think Margie's questions got answered. And if not I have no doubt she'd let us know if we didn't.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #55
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
We did go off the rails a bit in this thread, but I think Margie's questions got answered. And if not I have no doubt she'd let us know if we didn't.
Ya think? No, not Marge! She's too shy.

What was the original question? I'm sure there was one, I'll have to see what it was!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #56
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Having reviewed the original question
Quote:
OK - how do you Yanks actually KNIT ...?
I think it might be safe to answer: We knit any way we darned well please that gets stitches on and off the needles as we want them. I wouldn't be surprised if at least a few Aussies take the same attitude.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (05-10-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #57
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Marg1e View Post
Becky, what IS the wrist-twister variant you describe? - I mean, it sounds absolutely weird ...
There's a whole jingle about it and all, but picture holding both needles, tips to the sky, with your left hand doing absolutely nothing so far as I can see. Bend your right wrist over your left, put the needle trough, twist back and up toward the tip of the needle, leave it hanging in the air while you pick up the yarn and wind it around the needle tip, pick the needle up again, put your right index finger over the needle tip while you twist your wrist in the other direction (back and down) until your palm faces you, let go with the index finger so the stitch can slide off...and repeat eighteen bazillion times until you're done, or until your wrist and elbow give out and you get to brag about how good your surgeon is.
I CANNOT knit that way. I can throw with my left hand (and can do the thing with the long needle held under my right arm, knitting with my left) but that stab, twist, drop, wind, twist, drop just will not work for me.

Now I have to go read your book. I don't reckon American bituminous coal mining would be of much interest or I'd offer you mine
Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #58
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Another morning arises, and so do I, along with a huge fog bank, rolling in from ... lemme see ... the north! - how strange!
I find it hard to take in Becky's description of that, ahh, activity (for I don't consider it capable of being described as 'knitting'). Why in the name of all the gods would anyone DO that?!
Bituminous coal? - then you're a scholar, Becky, and I admire you.

Yeah, sorry about that egocentric stuff, all. But it's hard not to be fairly obsessed by it, at this point.
Speaking of blogs, the publishers wanted me to do something on my own behalf, publicity-wise, so I learned how to use WordPress and started one. It was The Weirdest Thing, honestly! - all these people writing stuff that's mostly expressed in appalling grammar, and mostly full of totally uninspiring minutiae. Mine too, I imagine (but not the grammar, I promise: and that ain't a misspelling of your name, GG!)
I attracted about 30 'followers' in the 5—6 weeks of its life; but suddenly I couldn't stand the narcissism and closed it down. And it took WordPress several months to delete it from the collection! - they are a useless and unhelpful lot.
Unlike you: in fact, in diametric opposition to you!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #59
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

"Scholar" is a whole lot more polite word for me than a lot of readers come up with My local histories are supposed to get people interested, and if it takes making the laugh I'm all for it. I had a blog for a while, but Blogspot got me locked out of it somehow and no one was reading it anyway.

As for the ...no, seriously, that's how the home ec department teaches knitting, and the survivors INSIST that everyone knit that way.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #60
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

In which case, far better for us to've taught ourselves, regardless of rightness or wrongness.
Trying to summon up a mental image of a classful of unfortunates trying to do as instructed, as per your description of it, Becky, causes the brain to implode.
:-|