Old 05-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #71
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
30 Second Film Festival '11 - How not to knit

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Dedtoidetry (05-18-2013), Demaemiaingehbf (05-21-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #72
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Becky Morgan View Post
There's a whole jingle about it and all, but picture holding both needles, tips to the sky, with your left hand doing absolutely nothing so far as I can see. Bend your right wrist over your left, put the needle trough, twist back and up toward the tip of the needle, leave it hanging in the air while you pick up the yarn and wind it around the needle tip, pick the needle up again, put your right index finger over the needle tip while you twist your wrist in the other direction (back and down) until your palm faces you, let go with the index finger so the stitch can slide off...and repeat eighteen bazillion times until you're done, or until your wrist and elbow give out and you get to brag about how good your surgeon is.
I CANNOT knit that way. I can throw with my left hand (and can do the thing with the long needle held under my right arm, knitting with my left) but that stab, twist, drop, wind, twist, drop just will not work for me.
I'll admit to being an 'thrower' and not a 'flicker'. but in my defence I throw from my wrist and not my shoulder. I read Becky's description and was so by it that I mimed it and after one 'stitch' my arm had a low level ache and normally my fingers/hands only start to ache after I've done quite a bit of knitting.

As for the ...no, seriously, that's how the home ec department teaches knitting, and the survivors INSIST that everyone knit that way.
My only response to the survivors is with a 2mm needle!

That's close, but do everything there in a way more exaggerated manner with a lot more midair flailing and twisting, and make sure you give the yarn a hard yank at the end of every stitch. I actually have a cuff and couple inches of sleeve from a sweater, left in a Goodwill bag of a soft fluffy baby yarn, that is knitted so tightly that it stands up by itself and has the texture of a heavy cardboard box. You can tell who's tried to knit this way by the many breaks in wool yarn and the number of projects cast aside with needles still in them.

I'll try to do a video of a few (a VERY few--my wrists don't like it!) stitches tomorrow. Don't expect too much, because I've never tried to upload a video before. Maybe it can serve as a bad example: Don't let THIS happen to YOU!
I presume the needles are still there as they cannot physically be removed.

The 'evil' part of me has to ask two questions:

Does one get bonus points for wraping and unwrap the yarn round ones fingers in a complicated method every time one picks it up and drops it?

Is there a purl version of this, or has no-one developed a right arm strong enough?

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny

Last edited by Dclutterchique : 05-14-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Minor typo that was bugging me.
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #73
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,567 Posts
Rube Goldberg knitting at its finest might be an apt description of this style of torture...uh knitting.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #74
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Dclutterchique View Post
I mimed it and after one 'stitch' my arm had a low level ache and normally my fingers/hands only start to ache after I've done quite a bit of knitting.
I was trying to do a short video clip on all of five stitches, got two rows in and tossed it aside because my elbow hurt. I forgot to mention two added things here--first, you start holding the work with the backs of both hands toward you, and second, when you finish wrapping the yarn, you drop it. That's right...you don't even hold the yarn. The tension comes from yanking it (with your right hand, of course) as you drop it.

And yes, there is a whole how-to-wrap-the-yarn-around-fingers every time you make a stitch. I think you may be on track with the needles unremovable idea. I've had to pull pretty hard to get them out. Most of the needles I find are fives and sixes, and it appears there' also some fad for using really small ones in order to get that rock-hard feel. I think I could make some felted projects without wool by using that method and acrylic. Of course, any mistakes will be forever welded in, but it would be downsized about right.

Once I found what must be four or five skeins of Homespun that had been frogged, plus the remnants of one still on needles. I love Homespun, mind you, I'm strange like that--but I have yet to use this. The piece still on needles was like armor plate, with multiple joins where the yarn had torn apart, and the frogged skeins have the binding thread broken in so many places I'll have to hold it with something else to use it.

Almost every time I knit in public in our area, someone tries to grab the work and "fix" the way I knit, often screeching about twisted stitches since I knit combined. They never seem to notice, until it is pointed out very, very loudly right in their ears, that the stitches are NOT twisted and that there are several ways to knit which don't require separate hazardous activities health insurance.

OH...the purl...yes, they purl. They yell and complain about it, and it REALLY hurts, but they purl with a similar twisting, yanking, all but standing on your head motion.

Last edited by Becky Morgan : 05-13-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Forgot the purl thing
Becky Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #75
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I was trying to do a short video clip on all of five stitches, got two rows in and tossed it aside because my elbow hurt. I forgot to mention two added things here--first, you start holding the work with the backs of both hands toward you, and second, when you finish wrapping the yarn, you drop it. That's right...you don't even hold the yarn. The tension comes from yanking it (with your right hand, of course) as you drop it.

And yes, there is a whole how-to-wrap-the-yarn-around-fingers every time you make a stitch. I think you may be on track with the needles unremovable idea. I've had to pull pretty hard to get them out. Most of the needles I find are fives and sixes, and it appears there' also some fad for using really small ones in order to get that rock-hard feel. I think I could make some felted projects without wool by using that method and acrylic. Of course, any mistakes will be forever welded in, but it would be downsized about right.

Once I found what must be four or five skeins of Homespun that had been frogged, plus the remnants of one still on needles. I love Homespun, mind you, I'm strange like that--but I have yet to use this. The piece still on needles was like armor plate, with multiple joins where the yarn had torn apart, and the frogged skeins have the binding thread broken in so many places I'll have to hold it with something else to use it.

Almost every time I knit in public in our area, someone tries to grab the work and "fix" the way I knit, often screeching about twisted stitches since I knit combined. They never seem to notice, until it is pointed out very, very loudly right in their ears, that the stitches are NOT twisted and that there are several ways to knit which don't require separate hazardous activities health insurance.

OH...the purl...yes, they purl. They yell and complain about it, and it REALLY hurts, but they purl with a similar twisting, yanking, all but standing on your head motion.

S&M knitting. Who'd a thunk it?

I'd love to see a video of someone so misguided as to knit this way, obviously you aren't, please, don't do yourself an injury doing a video. Leave it to our imaginations...or video someone who actually is into this S&M style of knitting. Tell them it's for educational purposes.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #76
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Skype™ to Marg1e
There is something unutterably weird about anyone's going to the trouble of doing what you describe, Becky. A kind of masochism, I suppose. Why anyone would want to be masochistic about knitting beggars belief.
I can't actually summon up a clear mental image of what you decribe; so I would beg you to keep an eye out for a video of it in your WWW travels: it would entertain everyone (except for proponents of the methodology, who would smile proudly).
Old 05-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #77
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

I knit English, but until I joined this forum I just thought that I knit and that was an end to it. Didn't even know there were other methods of knitting or casting on/off, which I'm a tad embarrassed to admit now!!

As a side note, I've just returned from three weeks in England and whilst there my SIL asked me to show her how to knit! Apparently I'm now a bona-fide knitter within my family, worthy of consulting for advice! She'd received a book for Christmas and wasn't getting on with what it was telling her with both the techniques and her comfort level. I showed her LTCO which is the only one I know and she picked it up really quickly, along with knit and purl. And,as has already been stated here, I told her to find her own level regarding comfort and not to force her hands into how the book told her to knit. There is no wrong or right, it's such an individual thing, so if it's working for you and you're happy, then keep at it!

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #78
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Brenda, congratulations on your status upgrade. I hope your protégées join us here!

I'm so glad you got your trip to England. I wonder: Why do we tend to feel embarrassed about not knowing things we really had no reason to be expected to know? I think a lot of share that and I can't figure out why. Just having sticks and string doesn't make it possible to knit or to set a snare trap to catch that Angora rabbit without instructions. It's not until we have reason to know there is something else, something more, that we look for it. I for one am trying to look more to what I've learned and can now do than to look at all I don't know; what I don't know is vast and wonderful opportunity for learning more when I'm ready but pretty intimidating too.

I've spent a bit of time reading Jan's early blog thread entries. Talk about encouraging! It's nice to know someone so accomplished experienced much the same things as I'm facing now. Realizing what Jan has accomplished gives me real hope for moi!