Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
*John Wayne impression* Ah, schucks, little lady, t'weren't nuthin'. You're welcome. I'm glad it worked out that between us we maybe figured out what you need to know to soldier on. I've only learned one provisional cast on but the one Amy does with a cable looks like a good idea...if I could even get my head around it. One day I may. Provisional cast ons came up fairly often for a while just after I joined here and thus I was motivated to find out what they are and what they're for. I finally figured out: They're provisional cast ons because they provide a way to have live stitches to work from going both directions; for me they are a way to improvise too. Your pattern may call for Kitchener stitching (grafting) of those live stitches if indeed, as I suspect, they are for sleeves. If so, and you're unfamiliar with it, ask here and someone can give you a link or links. Sometimes we really don't need to bother our pretty little heads looking for things when someone else can tell us where to find it. (Amy has a Kitchener stitch video here I think.) Did I just say what I think I said? Oy! If some guy told me not bother my pretty little head I just might knock his pretty little head off! I'm grateful that I'm still young enough to learn some of these things.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,762 Times in 7,130 Posts
Oh my gosh, I had no idea you didn't know about provisional cast on! I read this a while ago, but did t have time to answer yet. I use the PCO for several things. It's very good for things with hems and other things like a scarf where you want the pattern to look the same on both ends and more. I use the crochet hook method.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Skype™ to Marg1e
Vell, dullinks ...
I managed to create my two lots of PCO at either end; but I can tell you that it took me most of the afternoon to work out how to get them in the right position to enable me to knit the last three sts of one lot and then go back to start knitting on the WS.
I reckon I swapped all those ****ing stitches from one needle to another roughly ten times before I got 'em into the position that enabled me to proceed. Talk about Alice falling down the rabbit hole! - I thought I was going to continue swapping those sts for the rest of me days.

But I am now on my way with this first half. When I get to the second half, the scales may fall from my eyes and all will be clear.
Don't hold yer breath but.

Last edited by Marg1e : 05-09-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Marg1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #14
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,100 Posts
Good going Margie and GG!
You know, as I understand it, the designer might have saved a lot to to-ing and fro-ing if she had asked you to provisionally cast on 2 separate sets of 34sts each at the beginning of the RS row. You knit the first 3sts, turn to the WS, work the 3sts and continue with the body of the sweater. It's giving you a 3 stitch transition from the body to the sleeve at the underarm.
The reason for the provisional cast on is probably clearer at the directions for Finishing. Maybe grafting the two sides of the sleeve together.
GrumpyGramma (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I love free patterns. They can be viewed by one and all. It's easier to see what's hanging up and why.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I really like this popover except for the high neck. Nevertheless I put it in my favorites on Ravelry. I also checked some of the projects. I saw one that said the designer was very helpful particularly with the divide which is where you are. I wonder if the neck could be changed...hm...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Salmonmac, I agree wholeheartedly!: the creating of the PCOs at either end and then swapping one lot is plain silly. Well, now that I actually understand what they are ...
But that wasn't the real problem: it was that I never seemed to be in the right position to be able to ... ahh ... get at the three last of the 'nearest' PCOs to knit 'em, so as to be able to turn around and start patterning again on the WS. And now I've put it out of my head until I have to start this tricky business again for the other half; for if I tried to keep it in my head for that occasion, I really would go bonkers. More bonkers.
I also agree wholeheartedly with the grumpy one: had this one been a free pattern, I reckon you lot would've solved it for me in five minutes.
But Jan, as to how the designer is helpful - dunno about that, mate. This is a pattern for a very experienced knitter, and in fact that description needs to be elucidated: this pattern is for someone who's Done It All, basically. I may've been knitting, on and off, for well over thirty years, but what I've knitted has never required comprehension of anything other than the basics. And I never realised!
Sighh ...
Old 05-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I actually did do a provisional cast on for one sweater I did, but I couldn't help with this one because I'm no help because I find it easier if I'm 1. in the process myself or 2. being in a class and having someone tell me what's going on when the instructions are unusual while I'm doing it. Sigh..wish I could help you!

I still like the idea of this sweater, but would prefer a lower neck or looser drapey neck.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 05-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

the grumpy one

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

I have decided that you laugh too much for a grumpy person.
Kindly stop doing it immediately, and be grumpy, OK?
justplaincharlotte (05-09-2013)