Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Purplemwendy
Casting On

I need help to understand this pattern instruction
Hi there folks,

I am relatively new to knitting and have started my first project that isn't a hat.

I'm knitting my daughter a cardigan - Sirdar Tiny Tots 1712. I have completed the front and back but I'm struggling to understand the instructions for the sleeves. I can't quite figure out how to keep continuity of the pattern for the shaping - I'm hoping someone can give me advice...

The pattern instruction is this:

1st Row: K1, *s2p, k3, rep from * to last 3sts, (s2p) 1times, k1
2nd row: p1, *(p1 winding yarn twice around needle) twice, p3, rep from *to last 3sts (p1 winding yarn twice around needle) twice, p1
3rd row: k1, *s2p dropping extra loops, k3, rep from * to last 3sts, (s2p dropping extra loops) 1 time, k1
4th row: k1, *yrft, s2p, k3, rep from * to last 3sts (yrft, s2p) 1time, k1
From 1st to 4th row sets pattern.
Keeping continuity of patt as set (throughout) inc 1 st at each end of next and every foll 6th row, working inc sts in patt.

What I really need to know is how do I keep continuity of pattern if I am to slip stitches??

I'm very confused by this - have has to rip the sleeve down 4times!! Getting very frustrated!

I hope someone can help before I give up on it.
Purplemwendy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,420 Times in 3,099 Posts
Hi and welcome to KH!
Sounds like a very interesting pattern. The easiest way to keep in pattern is to do the initial increases in stockinette stitch and to stay in stockinette until you have enough sts for a complete pattern repeat plus the edge stitch. When you get to 6sts in stockinette stitch at each end of the sleeve for example, you'll have enough for another pattern repeat.
We'd love to see what this sweater actually looks like if you'd care to post a photo.
Purplemwendy (05-10-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Does the pattern give you instructions on how it wants you to do the s2p?i can't find the pattern so if you have a link it might help.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Skype™ to Marg1e
I, being very far from expert, find myself confused by your question: you're slipping sts in one direction, but not in the other, so where's the problem?
That pattern looks nice and lacey-ish, so st sts and yarn wind-arounds fit into the kind of look.
But pay no attention to me: I'm just curious as to exactly what the problem is ...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1712.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	56646  
Jan in CA (05-09-2013), Purplemwendy (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
Purplemwendy
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Hi and welcome to KH!
Sounds like a very interesting pattern. The easiest way to keep in pattern is to do the initial increases in stockinette stitch and to stay in stockinette until you have enough sts for a complete pattern repeat plus the edge stitch. When you get to 6sts in stockinette stitch at each end of the sleeve for example, you'll have enough for another pattern repeat.
We'd love to see what this sweater actually looks like if you'd care to post a photo.
Thanks Salmonmac...that makes sense. This was probably not the best pattern for a novice to begin with! I will definitely post a photo of the completed cardigan.
Purplemwendy is offline   Reply With Quote