Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
murphzmom
Casting On

Help changing needles while working in round
I am knitting in the round a market bag made with sugar and cream. I came to the part of the pattern where I need to change to working with a larger size needle. I took the larger needle and knit with that as my main needle until all the stitches were on the larger needle. Here is my dilemma where I need help. Once all the stitches were on the new needle my working yarn was not on the correct side to continue working in the round. How do I go about fixing this or can I. I know that I could flip the bag so that it would look like I was knitting inside out but for some reason this does not seem correct to me. I would appreciate any advice that anyone would have. Also for future projects that I may make where this same thing comes up (changing to larger needles) is there a better way to switch needles than the way that I did it.

Thanks for the help!!

Mindy
murphzmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,833 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
I'm probably not understanding the problem. When you change the size needle, the larger needle is in your right hand and the smaller needle is in your left. The working yarn is coming off the smaller right needle but you just pick up the yarn and continue to knit stitches from left needle to right. When you finish the round the working yarn should still be coming off the right needle and you can pick up the other end of the larger circular in your left hand and continue knitting. Can you do this? Pick up the other end of the larger needle and continue knitting? or have things somehow gotten reversed?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,307 Posts
Could you possibly post a picture? I think that might help.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
murphzmom
Casting On

When I went from the smaller to the larger needles my working yarn was in my right hand to start. I inserted the larger needle into the smaller and used the working yarn from my right hand. Somehow after I got all the way around my working yarn was pulling from the left side and not the right. I figure I got twisted somewhere along the line. I would like to know how I can fix this and also in the future what I can do so that I don't have this problem again.

Thanks!!

Mindy
murphzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,833 Posts
The best thing may be to unknit the round stitch by stitch until you get to the place where you inadvertantly switched needles. There should be a small jog or hole there and you can locate it before you start un-knitting. This happens and perhaps an easy way to avoid it is to make sure you pick up the needle with the working yarn in your right hand. Also maybe a marker (a safety pin or loop of yarn) on the right side of the work will help orient you in case things turn inside out.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,307 Posts
Maybe you slipped the last stitch onto the left needle. What happens if you just slip that stitch to the right needle?

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote