Old 05-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

Newby- tell me about gauge??
I have been watching videos about gauge, and the necessity- so i make a swatch say it comes out the way i want it, so what do you do with all the swatches you've done? Do you mark them with size of needle and yarn type for later use?
artsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
I don't think it would work because your gauge changes even within a project sometimes. I personally just unravel and reuse the yarn. I wait till the end of a project though in case i need to remeausre my stitch gauge. I've heard of people saving them and making a baby blanket or something, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

hmmm- ok, so your gauge could change before the end of a project??
Old 05-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by artsy1 View Post
hmmm- ok, so your gauge could change before the end of a project??

True story-- my friend started knitting a sweater a several years ago and put it down for whatever reason. Recently she decided to finally finish it. All it needed was one sleeve and a button band I believe. So she starts knitting the sleeve and it looks wrong and the gauge is way off even though she's using the same yarn and needle size. So after asking us (knitting group) what we thought she went down a needle size. It wasn't enough different so she went down another size. Her gauge had changed so much over time and experience she ended up using 2 needle sizes smaller to make gauge.

My experience-- I made a swatch and cast on a sweater. 6" up from the bottom I realized it was going to be way too large. Had to frog and reconfigure and started over. It fits pretty well now.

What do these stories mean? The first story is how your gauge can change over time as you become more experienced. My story is how knitting a small gauge swatch isn't much knitting so once you get into the big garment and knit a lot more you relax and it can change. Your gauge can also tighten up if you knit when you're stressed out.

Gauge swatches are important because they can give you basic info..do you like the fabric? Do you like the way the yarn is knitting up? Does this yarn actually look better with a different needle size as in the ballband says DK, but it's knitting up more like worsted? AND if you knit the garment or object right away and don't set it aside and you knit a lot your gauge may work out fine and none of these things will happen to you.

Point is though...gauge swatches aren't always perfect for measuring garment size. And knitting a swatch thinking it will be useful for the next time you want to knit a garment/object with that yarn may or may not work out. They are useful for knowing if you liked the yarn and fabric, but you may need to knit another swatch to find what your gauge is now.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

ok, that answers alot of questions- so gauge will be mandantory for me- never was clear on it- didn't do it in crochet, but then i didn't make fitted things- granny squares and such- what got me wondering was a hat i started, it seems awefully big, 80 stitches but i kept looking at it thinking maybe i need to check the gauge...LOL!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

This might be heresy, but if the project has a pocket on it, that's what I use. If the gauge is off, it doesn't matter that much on a pocket, and if it's working out, hey, the pocket is done and you know you had the yarn for it.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by artsy1 View Post
ok, that answers alot of questions- so gauge will be mandantory for me- never was clear on it- didn't do it in crochet, but then i didn't make fitted things- granny squares and such- what got me wondering was a hat i started, it seems awefully big, 80 stitches but i kept looking at it thinking maybe i need to check the gauge...LOL!
What weight yarn and needle size are you using? For worsted weight I usually cast on 80 and use size US 7 needles. And I always make them in the round.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

artsy1 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

you know the whole measure twice cut once thing in woodworking, carpentry and fabric? Well, gauge is measure twice knit once.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
What weight yarn and needle size are you using? For worsted weight I usually cast on 80 and use size US 7 needles. And I always make them in the round.
yep, size 7- and knitting in the round- love doing them that way- will look at it in the morning- its a touch late tonite..
Old 05-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

It may be fine. Until you get several inches of ribbing it tends to look big. For garter or a hem I sometimes cast on 72 then increase to 80 after the edging.

Of course if you are knitting with a heavier weight yarn you will need less stitches or if you are an extremely loose knitter, or the head is smaller than average you may may need to adjust, too.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

artsy1 (05-17-2013)