Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel
 
Nanaof6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 700
Thanks: 357
Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Question on Tank Of Many Colors Pattern
While I found this pattern fairly easy to follow there were questions I had on the Binding off of armpit sts and and shoulder and neck sts.
Like, Shape Armholes: Bind off 3(4-5-7) sts at beg of next 4 rows then 3(4-6-8) sts at beg of the next 2 rows.
I found this confusing ,I'm use to when you BO you cut the last bind off st and pull it through, at first I did the BO of the sts without cutting the last bo sts but this left me with one extra st in my over all st counts. Then I frogged back and did the BO and cut the last bo st and I ended up with a very jagged edge ,step like edge. Some one suggested slipping the first stitch but you still get the very uneven edge line and itís hard to smooth it out even with a crocheted sc st.Which is the right way to do this and why?
I went looking for a tank top pattern that doesnít use this weird BO but it seems it is in a lot of patterns
__________________
Nana


IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas






http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nanaof6 For This Useful Post:
Demaemiaingehbf (05-21-2013)

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel
 
Nanaof6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 700
Thanks: 357
Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts
I want to make another one but not until I know what and how I should be doing these many bind offs
__________________
Nana


IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas






http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 218
Thanks: 75
Thanked 136 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Nanaof6 View Post
While I found this pattern fairly easy to follow there were questions I had on the Binding off of armpit sts and and shoulder and neck sts.
Like, Shape Armholes: Bind off 3(4-5-7) sts at beg of next 4 rows then 3(4-6-8) sts at beg of the next 2 rows.
I found this confusing ,I'm use to when you BO you cut the last bind off st and pull it through, at first I did the BO of the sts without cutting the last bo sts but this left me with one extra st in my over all st counts. Then I frogged back and did the BO and cut the last bo st and I ended up with a very jagged edge ,step like edge. Some one suggested slipping the first stitch but you still get the very uneven edge line and it’s hard to smooth it out even with a crocheted sc st.Which is the right way to do this and why?
I went looking for a tank top pattern that doesn’t use this weird BO but it seems it is in a lot of patterns
Hello, Nanaof6.

Having read your post you appear to have 2 different problems with your bind off. The 1st is your bound off stitch count and the 2nd is the 'stair step' effect.

To solve the stitch count problem rember that every time you pass a stitch over that counts as a bound off stitch. This means K2 pass one over is one bound off stitch and doing another K1 pass one over means you have bound off 2 stitches, although you have knitted 3 stitches at this stage.

Because you know how many stitches you have when you begin a bind off row and how many you should have when you finish that row don't be afraid to count your stitches after doing your bind offs and before knitting the rest of the row. So, if you start with 20 stitches and need to bind off 3 stitches, bind off 3 stitches and count the remaining ones to make sure you have 1 stitch on your right needle and 16 stitches on your left needle. If you don't you can make your correction before finishing knitting that row. If you do you can finish knitting that row. Don't cut the yarn and pull through, when you have more knitting to do, you'll only have to rejoin it in and make unnecessary work for yourself. I also think this could be making the 'stair step' or jagged edge problem even worse.

When binding off over a few rows you can use different strategies for different situations.

If you are going to 'pick up and knit' that part of the garment later (eg do ribbing for an arm band or neck band I would cast off and carry on knitting normally as the ribbing will smooth out any jagged edging.

If you are binding off a part of the garment that is to be seamed, eg shoulder seam, you can done one of the following:

1) Cast off and continue knitting normally. Then seam to the matching piece, when finished.

2) Do the Sloping Bind Off as shown by Amy in the Binding Off section of the Free Videos. The instructions do seem a little confusing, but if you practise with a swatch 1st it will make more sense.

3) Check the instructions to make sure you are binding off the same number of stitches at the same point for both pieces and do a 3 needle Bind Off.

I don't think slipping the 1st stitch will help and, as you found, may make things harder for you.

Finally, (sorry to depress you) in the world of knitting patterns what you described is a normal bind off for most tops, which explains your problem finding an alternative.
__________________
An English Knitter (nationality and method).
Feel free to call me either Clutter or Julie (my real name).

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny

Last edited by Dclutterchique : 05-18-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
Nanaof6 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,408
Thanks: 1,935
Thanked 3,056 Times in 2,568 Posts
You could consider short row shaping, it might help, but I think you'll still need to do some binding off. I'm not sure how it would work out. I need to look into it as I want to knit some tanks. I'll have to read the Julie's post more carefully later, I don't have the time right now.
__________________
~ GG

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Nanaof6 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel
 
Nanaof6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 700
Thanks: 357
Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts
What is the difference between a Bind Off and a Cast Off? I youtubed a video and watch it but I really do not see what the difference is other then the wording of the two.

So what your saying is I should Not bind off the last stitch by cutting it ? But then I end up with and extra stitch and it throws the total amount of stitches that I should have on my needle off by one stitch as I go.

The pattern is on Berroco's site 'Tank Of Many Colors' if you could look at it ,it might help explain what I am talking about.
__________________
Nana


IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas






http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,408
Thanks: 1,935
Thanked 3,056 Times in 2,568 Posts
Bind off and cast off are the same thing.

OK, I just reread your original post. I'm trying to understand why you were cutting yarn. If you BO the stitches at the beginning of the row, you just continue knitting across as normal. Did you BO at the end instead? You work to the end of the row, turn, do your BO, then just knit across. No yarn to cut. The count being off is a matter of counting the BO sts correctly which I've had problems with in the past. Julie explains how to count them, above. The loop left on your needle after the last BO st counts as the first st as you continue on.
__________________
~ GG

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Nanaof6 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel
 
Nanaof6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 700
Thanks: 357
Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts
I have never knitted a tank top before this and the Bind Offs confused me because prior to this pattern, my bind offs were what I did on shawl, dishcloths,etc,bind off and cut yarn from ball and pull yarn through last loop and weave in end.
__________________
Nana


IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas






http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,408
Thanks: 1,935
Thanked 3,056 Times in 2,568 Posts
Oh, do I understand! I encountered the same problems. Others came to my rescue and I won't know until I get there again if I really understand now. Such is knitting! I've used stitch markers to keep me on count with my BO. That might help you too. I think I'm going to try short row shaping for the armhole when I do a tank. If I do, I'll let you know how it works out.
__________________
~ GG

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel
 
Nanaof6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 700
Thanks: 357
Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Oh, do I understand! I encountered the same problems. Others came to my rescue and I won't know until I get there again if I really understand now. Such is knitting! I've used stitch markers to keep me on count with my BO. That might help you too. I think I'm going to try short row shaping for the armhole when I do a tank. If I do, I'll let you know how it works out.
Please let me know about using Short Rows for armholes. I am out in left field on that one

I'm so trained to just follow the written pattern so I do not even try to take another idea and change the written pattern, but I do want to learn. So when and were and how do you do the short row for armholes?
__________________
Nana


IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas






http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 218
Thanks: 75
Thanked 136 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Nanaof6 View Post
What is the difference between a Bind Off and a Cast Off? I youtubed a video and watch it but I really do not see what the difference is other then the wording of the two.

So what your saying is I should Not bind off the last stitch by cutting it ? But then I end up with and extra stitch and it throws the total amount of stitches that I should have on my needle off by one stitch as I go.

The pattern is on Berroco's site 'Tank Of Many Colors' if you could look at it ,it might help explain what I am talking about.
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Bind off and cast off are the same thing.

OK, I just reread your original post. I'm trying to understand why you were cutting yarn. If you BO the stitches at the beginning of the row, you just continue knitting across as normal. Did you BO at the end instead? You work to the end of the row, turn, do your BO, then just knit across. No yarn to cut. The count being off is a matter of counting the BO sts correctly which I've had problems with in the past. Julie explains how to count them, above. The loop left on your needle after the last BO st counts as the first st as you continue on.
Yes, GG is correct, Cast off and Bind off are the same thing. Cast off is UK English and Bind off is USA English. Being British I use the term cast off by default.

I should have been clearer in saying that you don't pull the yarn through the last bind off stitch when you have more knitting to do, but carry on knitting. I've edited my 1st post to show this. Unless the instructions tell you to cut the yarn you only pull the yarn through the last stitch and cut it when it really is the last stitch.

Again GG is correct to say (and I forgot to mention) that you never bind off at the end off a row, otherwise you end up with an 'orphan' stitch on the next row. You can bind off at the begining of a row, in the middle of a row or across a complete row, but never at the end of a row.
__________________
An English Knitter (nationality and method).
Feel free to call me either Clutter or Julie (my real name).

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
Nanaof6 (05-17-2013)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Tank Top Pattern Question knitininca How-to Questions 6 05-24-2013 08:37 PM
Question about Colors for this pattern? LittleGoblin Pattern Central 1 11-19-2007 11:20 PM
Kidlet tank question Orangey How-to Questions 1 06-15-2007 07:35 AM
sweater/tank question debb General Knitting 2 06-08-2007 09:32 PM
Short Snort Tank Question rebecca General Knitting 3 06-17-2006 09:55 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 PM.