Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Julie, thanks. I think your post was pretty clear, I just happened to think of a couple of details. I've thought that the use of bind off here in the U.S. might be because of abbreviations, CO and BO don't get confused. When I see either term I know what it means.

As for short row shaping, I found this: SWEATER FINISHING 101-Part 3. I found a lot of useful info in the series of videos she did. In this video she shows the short row shaping on a sleeve but I don't see why it wouldn't work on an armhole. I've not tried it yet. I think it could eliminate the underarm BO (oh, I don't like that! Cast off is better there!) She does W&T, I would use German short rows. Whoever tries it first should report back! If I find anymore info, videos or written, I'll post it somewhere. As for straying from a pattern, if I knit for me I have to alter the pattern anyhow so what's a little more straying? I can always frog and fix.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Dclutterchique (05-18-2013), Nanaof6 (05-17-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

OMG! thank you so much for the link for short rows. I am going to use this on my shoulder edge rather than the BO as the pattern calls for!!! It should seam up so much nicer then. I'll have to youtube your German short rows, never heard of it.

But can I use the short row method for the Bind Offs at the (Shape Armholes) and at the (Shape Neck) instructions? If the answer is yes , how do I do that? The piece is work knitting front panel first then the back panel. Not in the round.

Instructions for armhole says, Bind Off 4 sts at beg of next 4 rows,then 4 sts at beg of the next 2 rows. not sure how to attack the short row here.

Also Instruction for neck says, k26, join another ball of yarn and bind off center 25 sts, k to end.Working both sides at once, work 1 row even, then bind off 4 sts at each neck edge once.Dec 2 sts at each neck edge on every other row (rs) 5 times.

Before the last sentence of Dec of 2 sts at each neck edge on every other row (rs) 5 times I should have 26 shoulder stitches for each shoulder decreasing down to 12 on each shoulder, although I would like to have a wider shoulder strap to hide my OMG bra straps.

Can you help me with this to use the short rows?

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02

Last edited by Nanaof6 : 05-17-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Nanaof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I googled knitting armhole shaping with short rows and found Tutorial: Short row bind-offs. You might come up with better search terms. If you find something else, let us know, please, it seems we're all on the same quest. Nicer armholes and less BO is our Holy Grail!

Short rows. Jan posted a link to a video in Do we have to be good at everything? post #6. It's for heels but the method for turning might work in this application. German Short Rows video, there are two parts of it. I learned about GSR here, others use this method too. If you find a better way, I want to know!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Dclutterchique (05-18-2013), Nanaof6 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

You rock! Thank you again, going to look in to! Now if I could only wrap my head around this short row thing I'll be all set!

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

The Following User Says Thank You to Nanaof6 For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (05-17-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,424 Times in 3,103 Posts
Wonderful video and tutorial links, GG! This is a nice way of getting the sloped bind off too and maybe it'll help. From the bind off videos here at KH:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...nd-off-english
Dclutterchique (05-18-2013), GrumpyGramma (05-18-2013), Nanaof6 (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #16
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Julie, thanks. I think your post was pretty clear, I just happened to think of a couple of details. I've thought that the use of bind off here in the U.S. might be because of abbreviations, CO and BO don't get confused. When I see either term I know what it means.

As for short row shaping, I found this: SWEATER FINISHING 101-Part 3. I found a lot of useful info in the series of videos she did. In this video she shows the short row shaping on a sleeve but I don't see why it wouldn't work on an armhole. I've not tried it yet. I think it could eliminate the underarm BO (oh, I don't like that! Cast off is better there!) She does W&T, I would use German short rows. Whoever tries it first should report back! If I find anymore info, videos or written, I'll post it somewhere. As for straying from a pattern, if I knit for me I have to alter the pattern anyhow so what's a little more straying? I can always frog and fix.
I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere (pre-internet) the term bind off being used as the American verision of cast off, but I can't be certain.

To me the logic behind the UK term is if one casts on to get the stiches securely on the needles to start knitting then one casts off the stitches to get then safely off the needles to finish knitting. Whereas, to me, the logic behind the US term is that one is binding, or making fast/secure, the stitches while removing them from the needles.

When I first started reading this site it took me a while to realise that when someone said "I've got problems with my BO." they meant "I've got problems finishing my knitting." and not "I've got problems with my personal hygiene."

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny

Last edited by Dclutterchique : 05-18-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Nanaof6 View Post
You rock! Thank you again, going to look in to! Now if I could only wrap my head around this short row thing I'll be all set!
I have every faith that you will be able to 'wrap my head around this short row thing'.

GrumpyGramma has given links to quite a few different ways of doing short rows. So I would sit down with some spare yarn and needles, watch the videos and do some practice swatches to find out what works for you, before starting your tank top.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (05-18-2013), Nanaof6 (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Wonderful video and tutorial links, GG! This is a nice way of getting the sloped bind off too and maybe it'll help. From the bind off videos here at KH:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...nd-off-english
I didn't even know that Amy's video was there! I like that. I wish they came up in the youtube and Google searches I do. I've heard it said that those who can, do, those who can't teach (not really true, I'm sure, the best teachers are those who can and do) but I wonder if in knitting, those who can, do and I get bogged down in trying to find ways to do but not ever really doing. *sigh*

I'm glad you started this thread, Nana.

When I first started reading this site it took me a while to realise that when someone said "I've got problems with my BO." they ment "I've got problems finishing my knitting." and not "I've got problems with my personal hygiene."
Uh, yeah, I know what you mean. I see your reasoning in why one term or the other, but I would be so much more confused if CO meant start and finish. Context, context, context. Eventually we can overcome any common language differences. Knit on!

Old 05-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
Nanaof6
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Dclutterchique View Post

When I first started reading this site it took me a while to realise that when someone said "I've got problems with my BO." they ment "I've got problems finishing my knitting." and not "I've got problems with my personal hygiene."
So what do the UK's call it when you CO / cast on or do they use the same term and if they do how do you decipher CO cast on from CO cast off

IX XI
Keep Christ In Christmas

Old 05-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #20
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I didn't even know that Amy's video was there! I like that. I wish they came up in the youtube and Google searches I do. I've heard it said that those who can, do, those who can't teach (not really true, I'm sure, the best teachers are those who can and do) but I wonder if in knitting, those who can, do and I get bogged down in trying to find ways to do but not ever really doing. *sigh*

I'm glad you started this thread, Nana.

Uh, yeah, I know what you mean. I see your reasoning in why one term or the other, but I would be so much more confused if CO meant start and finish. Context, context, context. Eventually we can overcome any common language differences. Knit on!
Originally Posted by Nanaof6 View Post
So what do the UK's call it when you CO / cast on or do they use the same term and if they do how do you decipher CO cast on from CO cast off:shrug:
To be honest, I'd never come across the abbreviation CO to mean cast on before reading this site. Until then any patterns or knitting information I read used the terms cast on and cast off, as appropriate.