Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I only knit what I find enjoyable.

However, I've been forced to learn new techniques along the way. For example, applied/attached i-cord! And I'm so happy I applied myself to it and learned to do it! Now I use it even when it isn't necessarily called for!

I avoid sweater patterns that require a process that I don't like, for example, I avoid top-down construction. And sleeves that are picked up around the armhole, knit (in-the-round) down to the cuff. It's very difficult to block these kinds of sleeves. I prefer blocking flat pieces, then seaming them together.

So to answer your question...no, knitting isn't like school where you have no choice about the curriculum. Knitting is totally optional, and personal to each individual.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 05-18-2013 at 01:52 AM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-17-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Everyone has different likes and dislikes. I just read Artlady's post.the things she avoids are the things I look for!

GG...I do the crochet provisional cast on, but not that one...I find that one more steps than necessary. I use the one that's here in the videos.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #13
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,979 Posts
There's a difference too between not doing a new technique because you don't like it and not doing it because it's intimidating or stressful. Short rows, provisional cast on, steeking, inside-out knitting all have their uses and are worth trying, at least on some practice swatches. If you don't like doing them or the look of them, there are ways around them or other patterns. That's the beauty of this craft.
GrumpyGramma (05-18-2013), N0obKnitter (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,001 Times in 2,514 Posts
Jan, I use the provisional cast on shown here too. The one in the video looks as if it would be too hard, pick up and knit in the bumps? I don't think I have the fine motor control for that. I see something like that and think, I can do that the other way since I already learned how, and wait for the part I'm interested in to get there. Then of course I don't know what a large part of the video really was. That is like when I was in school. Most of the time I had no idea what I'd missed.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

GG, It's a sock pattern where you provisionally cast on into the crochet chain right above the toes, then use short roes for the toes, then I assume you put the provisional cast on back on the needles and knit the foot. I'll have to check the rest.

ETA...okay, it's not a whole sock pattern. It's simply a short row, toe. Too fiddly for me even though the toes are nice with no seams.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

N0obKnitter (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
GG, It's a sock pattern where you provisionally cast on into the crochet chain right above the toes, then use short roes for the toes, then I assume you put the provisional cast on back on the needles and knit the foot. I'll have to check the rest.

ETA...okay, it's not a whole sock pattern. It's simply a short row, toe. Too fiddly for me even though the toes are nice with no seams.
I have some lovely soft On Your Toes bamboo yarn that just isn't cooperating when I do the usual closed cast on and start increasing, it loves to split. I'm hoping that doing it the way in the video might work better. Trial and error. The yarn may be destined for being something besides socks. I just don't have the patience to deal with it if I don't figure out an easier/better way to make a toe from it and soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
It's absolutely okay to prefer top down, but... That was weird. If that is your introduction to toe up socks no wonder you prefer top down!! That is far from the basic way to do them.

I use a turkish cast on which creates a closed toe right at the beginning. I increase by using KFB on both sides till I have my toe then just knit till you're ready to do the heel. Most toe up patterns use some form of this same method. No provisional cast on or short rows for the toe. How on earth did you find this pattern?
Ninja skills. Lol.

This might seem stupid but, I can do Turkish easily on dpn instead of magic loop?
Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
There's a difference too between not doing a new technique because you don't like it and not doing it because it's intimidating or stressful. Short rows, provisional cast on, steeking, inside-out knitting all have their uses and are worth trying, at least on some practice swatches. If you don't like doing them or the look of them, there are ways around them or other patterns. That's the beauty of this craft.

Steek. cuttingSTitchesEEK! I've not done this but will try it. I have something I will make up one day and it requires steeking. Intimidating? Definitely. Will I try it? Yes. Will I succeed? I expect so. Will I ever do it again? Time will tell. Fortunately I have many teachers, here and all across the 'net.

Many things aren't worth bothering about until I understand why bother about them. Provisional cast on was like that, now I find many uses for it. Short rows were intimidating and frightening, then frustrating beyond belief. They were too too too ugly to use, another method had to be found, someone here suggested German short rows and that's worked for me so far and now I look at other methods and have to decide which one to try next. I'm stalling. I should be swatching and then cleaning my kitchen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-18-2013), salmonmac (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
no, knitting isn't like school where you have no choice about the curriculum.
We can think of it more like vocational school where you choose what courses you wish to take.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lighting57 For This Useful Post:
Dclutterchique (05-18-2013), GrumpyGramma (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by N0obKnitter View Post
Ninja skills. Lol.

This might seem stupid but, I can do Turkish easily on dpn instead of magic loop?
Yes, you can. I haven't done it that way because I prefer ML, but I found a few videos. I think this one from Cat Bordhi is the best one and is how I do it. She's using big needles and yarn to show you how to do it, but it looks better in lighter yarn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Px2dxWHZ8U

She shows increases for her pattern, but how you do them will depend on your pattern. I only did one on each end of each needle (4 increases total) like this ---
Round 1 - KFB, knit until 2 stitches remain on needle KFB, k1. Repeat on other needle.
Round 2 - Knit all stitches on both needles

Repeat both rows till you have your ultimate stitch count.

You do them the KFB like the above so it will match on each side. If you're using DPN instead of ML just keep track of where your increases are since you're using m ore than just the two needles.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

N0obKnitter (05-18-2013)