Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Yes, you can. I haven't done it that way because I prefer ML, but I found a few videos. I think this one from Cat Bordhi is the best one and is how I do it. She's using big needles and yarn to show you how to do it, but it looks better in lighter yarn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Px2dxWHZ8U

She shows increases for her pattern, but how you do them will depend on your pattern. I only did one on each end of each needle (4 increases total) like this ---
Round 1 - KFB, knit until 2 stitches remain on needle KFB, k1. Repeat on other needle.
Round 2 - Knit all stitches on both needles

Repeat both rows till you have your ultimate stitch count.

You do them the KFB like the above so it will match on each side. If you're using DPN instead of ML just keep track of where your increases are since you're using m ore than just the two needles.

Jan, I think she said in at least one rendition of this method, that 3 is the magic number for casting on. Did I get that right? Does it apply only to the particular pattern she refers to? How many did you use? Questions, questions, questions. This Turkish cast on seems different somehow from ones I've looked at before. Must try it this way. Thanks!

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Jan, I think she said in at least one rendition of this method, that 3 is the magic number for casting on. Did I get that right? Does it apply only to the particular pattern she refers to? How many did you use? Questions, questions, questions. This Turkish cast on seems different somehow from ones I've looked at before. Must try it this way. Thanks!
3? I think that must be pattern specific. I cast on 16 with fingering weight and size 0 needles. I find the Turkish cast on easier than Judy's Magic Cast on. Here's a pic. You can see using the simple KFB looks fine
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	56678  

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #23
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Yup, that's a lovely sock toe - as if you'd do anything else. I don't know what's different but there is something different about the way she shows the T. cast on. I'm really not interested in tracking down others to compare, however. If it's good enough for you, it's good enough. I will give it a go. Thanks so much!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (05-19-2013), N0obKnitter (05-21-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
If it's good enough for you, it's good enough. I will give it a go. Thanks so much!
You're welcome. I took a sock knitting class in October (Called Socktober..) and the majority of us did this toe.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (05-19-2013), N0obKnitter (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #25
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

Good at everything
Nah, I love to knit and crochet and many other crafts but I hate filet crochet. I had to do it for the Masters program for the crochet guild ( they have a new one now) and hated it because one mistake and ripping out so much ,lol. I enjoy being a perfectionist when knitting but haven't found something I don't like about it yet. There is still lots to try and learn.
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mathwizard For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-21-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #26
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I love what the Yarn Harlot said about Cat Bordhi-She sits around and thinks "There has to be a harder way to do this". Anyhow, I think The Knitting Guild of America does have this mind set. That you do have to do be able to do certain things and do them well whether they're your kind of stuff or not. I've been a member for a while but never really drank the Koolaid on this issue.
GrumpyGramma (05-22-2013), N0obKnitter (05-23-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #27
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Jeremy, thanks for the comment about finding a harder way to do things. I've thought some individuals seem to think that more complicated and more difficult is by necessity better. I disagree. I prefer, keep it simple, sweetie. I hadn't come across the Yarn Harlot's comment.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I agree about Bordhi - sweet tomato heel etc. I've viewed many of her videos and thought "too complicated/fiddly etc
For me!"

I do not think I'm a "process" knitter.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #29
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by N0obKnitter View Post
I have pondered this often:

Is knitting like school? Do We have to learn things we don't like and be able to do them?

Or: is it purely a hobby and meant to be relaxing/enjoyable? Learn things you want to and not everything? Eg: I so far don't like provisional cast on - due to the short rows. I find short rows very intimidating/stressful. Am I a bad knitter if I never want to learn short rows?
GOOD GRIEF! What kind of Knitting Nazis are you hanging with, Girl? Whoever they are, you should lose 'em (FAST!) and get some better friends. And if it's your own little self that's thinkin' this, you should definitely change your thinking!

This is as bad as a friend who stresses out over meeting up with me. Why take something FUN and make it pure-dee hell? (Unless, of course, your sadistic; then have at it . . . but count me out!)
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #30
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I used to go to knitting guild meetings - while I did learn some new things, I felt a bit like I was in College again, in a class with required learning etc. I mean, we were encouraged to practice certain things and show our work etc. We had "homework"! It was awesome but...I had conflicting feelings. Is my knitting purely a hobby, for stress relief or...is it also a skill and I need to try to learn everything, even if I don't enjoy it, or think it too fiddly etc?

Different than me learning stuff I actually want to, like two at a time socks or top down raglan pullovers etc. THOSE things I'm self-taught via books and the internet.

Yes, I think entirely TOO much.