Old 05-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
deann
Knitting the Flap

Qustion about a pattern
I have this pattern and I have never used ruffle before. Right under where it says "see link above", it says P 1 rnd, then K yarn and lame together, then it gives the next round, etc.

Is this ruffle round to be used in the pattern only where it says ruffle round? Or where it says to knit them together, do I continue to use both the lame and yarn together from that point on? I am sort of confused on when and when not to use it.

Then it says begin ruffle pattern, under that P rnd, K14K2tog, etc., do I use the yarn and lame together here also?

http://www.straw.com/crystalpalaceya...ouncySkrt.html
deann is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

While the directions are not expressly clear, I believe you are to knit with the yarn and ruffle yarn together ONLY on the ruffle rounds. All remaining purl/knit rounds are worked only with your plain yarn.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by RochesterKnitter View Post
While the directions are not expressly clear, I believe you are to knit with the yarn and ruffle yarn together ONLY on the ruffle rounds. All remaining purl/knit rounds are worked only with your plain yarn.
Oh great, thanks much. I couldn't figure it out. So for the ruffle round I only do the ruffle pattern from page 1. So then just let the lame dangle until the next ruffle round? You are right , not clear at all.

Thank you

D
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
deann
Knitting the Flap

Okay, ugh, another question. 2nd page, "begin ruffle pattern and work until 9 ruffles. What ruffle pattern? The one above that with the 5 rounds? Then wouldn't that make the skirt awfully long if I do 5 rounds of regular yarn, then 1 ruffle, yarn and do that 9 times?

The work even for 2 more ruffles? Does that mean to just do 2 rounds of knitting the lame and yarn together? UGH. I almost hate I found this patter, it looks so pretty that I really wanted to make this skirt.

Also, instead of wool can I use cotton and acrylic yarn??

Thanks for all help. UGH again!!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

2nd page, "begin ruffle pattern and work until 9 ruffles." What ruffle pattern? The one above that with the 5 rounds?

*Yes. The "pattern" is these rounds consisting of one ruffle round and four garter stitch rounds.

Then wouldn't that make the skirt awfully long if I do 5 rounds of regular yarn, then 1 ruffle, yarn and do that 9 times?

*No. Garter stitch is shorter than stockinette so the space between ruffle rows will not be that great.

The work even for 2 more ruffles? Does that mean to just do 2 rounds of knitting the lame and yarn together?

*No. After doing 9 ruffles there is a row which includes decreases (to 90sts). Do these decreases as part of the garter stitch between ruffles continuing to work even (90sts per round).
Then do two more ruffle patterns but on 90 sts not the original 96.

*Sure. Acrylic may stretch a bit but is washable. Cotton will hold its shape and is washable. Personally wool in children's clothing is just a no-no for me - it can't be washed and kids are messy!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
deann
Knitting the Flap

2nd page, "begin ruffle pattern and work until 9 ruffles." What ruffle pattern? The one above that with the 5 rounds?

*Yes. The "pattern" is these rounds consisting of one ruffle round and four garter stitch rounds.

Then wouldn't that make the skirt awfully long if I do 5 rounds of regular yarn, then 1 ruffle, yarn and do that 9 times?

*No. Garter stitch is shorter than stockinette so the space between ruffle rows will not be that great.

The work even for 2 more ruffles? Does that mean to just do 2 rounds of knitting the lame and yarn together?

*No. After doing 9 ruffles there is a row which includes decreases (to 90sts). Do these decreases as part of the garter stitch between ruffles continuing to work even (90sts per round).

*Sure. Acrylic may stretch a bit but is washable. Cotton will hold its shape and is washable. Personally wool in children's clothing is just a no-no for me - it can't be washed and kids are messy!

Thank you so very much. I think I was bewildered because I didn't realize this was a girls size 4-6. The one I am making it for wears a size 4-T, and so I was thinking this meant a girl between ages of 4-6.

Does anyone know how I can downsize it??

Thank you.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

CO fewer stitches to get the width/circumference you want.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
deann
Knitting the Flap

Okay so 100% cotton would work better, even in the summer? Also, the PDF pattern says girl size 4-6 but the pattern on their website says girls ages 4-6.

Again, your instructions were much more clearer, thank you so much.