Old 06-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #11
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Very pretty sock, NooB! are you knitting socks at the moment? I knit six pairs my first time, then stopped....would love to get back to it, but am knitting plastic tote bags now, using plarn I make myself (by cutting plastic bags into strips). It's crazy/fun.....but not yet sure how practical. Socks are so practical.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodi For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (06-01-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
Very pretty sock, NooB! are you knitting socks at the moment? I knit six pairs my first time, then stopped....would love to get back to it, but am knitting plastic tote bags now, using plarn I make myself (by cutting plastic bags into strips). It's crazy/fun.....but not yet sure how practical. Socks are so practical.
I made plarn before. I plan to make a welcome mat out of it.

I have um...four pairs of socks on the go. Coff.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Yup, that second link goes to a sock with a crocheted picot border. Says so right on the pattern! So as long as your gauge swatch says you're using a large enough hook for the top of the sock to be stretchy (you are doing a gauge swatch, right?), I say go for it.
Me? Gauge swatch? LOL

Old 06-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Antares
Working the Gusset

Okay, nix the gauge swatch then (I don't always do one either), but the great thing about crochet--and especially a crocheted edging--is that you can easily and fairly painlessly rip it out.

It looks like you will be working the edging into the cast on edge (after you've knit the rest of the sock), so pulling out and redoing just the crocheted edging will be much easier than redoing, say, a knitted edging--or a knitted anything for that matter. Only one live stitch to keep track of when ripping back in crochet. It definitely has its plus sides!

I will add this note just in case it helps: Make sure your cast on stitches are loose enough to insert the recommended size crochet hook through them! There's nothing more annoying than trying to force a hook through really really tight stitches--makes the whole finishing up bit unfun indeed!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Okay, nix the gauge swatch then (I don't always do one either), but the great thing about crochet--and especially a crocheted edging--is that you can easily and fairly painlessly rip it out.

It looks like you will be working the edging into the cast on edge (after you've knit the rest of the sock), so pulling out and redoing just the crocheted edging will be much easier than redoing, say, a knitted edging--or a knitted anything for that matter. Only one live stitch to keep track of when ripping back in crochet. It definitely has its plus sides!

I will add this note just in case it helps: Make sure your cast on stitches are loose enough to insert the recommended size crochet hook through them! There's nothing more annoying than trying to force a hook through really really tight stitches--makes the whole finishing up bit unfun indeed!
Thank you!