Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
aebayerl
Casting On

Garter and Seed Stitch Cardigan by Diane Zang
There are side vents in this pattern. After knitting the back and shaping the shoulders the pattern says, "Side Vents, With larger needles and RS facing, pick up 9 sts along long edge of side vent. Work even in garter st for 5 rows. Bind off loosely and do the same to other side."

Looking at the picture on the front of the pattern, I'm not understanding what the long edge and the short edge is, and why I'm supposed to knit these "tabs." Can I skip that part?
aebayerl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,296 Times in 2,982 Posts
Vents are usually the slits at the lower edge of the sweater or jacket similar to those shown in the picture. I suspect thare was a point after knitting about 5-6 inches in the back and fronts where you increased stitches. This notch is the vent. The long edge is at the ends of the rows. It'll give a nice finishing touch to the bottom of the sweater if you pick up stitches along this edge but you can probably leave it out. See how it looks when you pin everything together and then decide.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...titch-cardigan
aebayerl (05-29-2013)