Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

HELP !!!
I am both a right and left hand knitter, I am having a problem because I tore a tendent in my right thumb I need to knit left handed. I am having problems with a set of directions my Grandma left me before she passed away which are for her dish cloths ..... Normally I do them right handed but since I now have to do them left handed it is hard .... The directions are knit 4,yo,k3tgo, then knit to the end its is simple enough but it doesn't look right when I am doing this left handed. I need HELP
flyboydc10 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,504 Posts
Hi and welcome to Knitting Help. Sometimes left handed knitting means Continental style. If I understand you correctly, what would ordinarily be the right needle in your right hand, the one doing the work, is now the left needle in your left hand? Is this what you mean?

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

yes that is correct, the sad thing is my Mother was also a lefty but she too is gone so I am trying to do this myself and was pretty good till I started decreasing
Old 06-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I've never tried to knit left handed and have looked but haven't found videos of left handed knitters. I think I read that the decreases have to be reversed, a k2tog would become a ssk and vice versa. You might try it and see. I'll look and see if I can find any links that might help. Meanwhile, someone here may see this and have better input. Your pattern sounds like a variation of "Grandma's Favorite Dish Cloth" a pattern I've used a lot. I hope you heal well and quickly.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I've never tried to knit left handed and have looked but haven't found videos of left handed knitters. I think I read that the decreases have to be reversed, a k2tog would become a ssk and vice versa. You might try it and see. I'll look and see if I can find any links that might help. Meanwhile, someone here may see this and have better input. Your pattern sounds like a variation of "Grandma's Favorite Dish Cloth" a pattern I've used a lot. I hope you heal well and quickly.
Thank you so much, yeah I can do it right handed but with my injury I dont dare, I will try and look up that on you tube and see if I can do it. I still couldn't figure out how to do it LOL
Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
Knitting left handed is not that difficult & the only things that I have to reverse in right handed instruction are ssk, k2tog & shapings on garments fronts.
found here by Lee@2 in the next to last post on the page. So, if it says k2tog, use ssk and if it says ssk use k2tog. At least that's what I think it means. If you're knitting left handed and can do the decreases, then I think you'll be fine while your thumb heals. You'll also be way ahead of most of us who can only manage to use our right hands. Please let us know how things work out for you and I'd love to see a picture of your dish cloth.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

thank you, I also found this http://fluffandfuzzknitting.wordpres...nced-decrease/

But now I have a problem because of the yo do I do that before or after I do the 3tog? I am hoping a lefty sees this and will be able to maybe help
Old 06-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I see. Yes, you would reverse the yo and dec wouldn't you? Or do them at the end and then k4? (K across to the last 8 sts, yo, k3tog, k4.) This has my interest, I hope I'm not making things worse. I didn't realize you were doing a centered double decrease either. LOL I should bow out as gracefully as possible.....

Old 06-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

I see. Yes, you would reverse the yo and dec wouldn't you? Or do them at the end and then k4? (K across to the last 8 sts, yo, k3tog, k4.) This has my interest, I hope I'm not making things worse. I didn't realize you were doing a centered double decrease either. LOL I should bow out as gracefully as possible.....
No your great I get to throw some ideas out, It is so hard I was doing great till I got the middle of the cloth and then when I started the decrease that is where I am having the most trouble because of the YO is suppose to be after the 4 right when you have to do the 3tog and that is the hardest because I am so use to doing it right handed but left handed is something else LOL we will get it I am not worried
Old 06-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #10
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

That's also what I thought I was doing the opposite kniting across then Yo when I was increasing and it seemed to be doing the trick so I tried that on the decrease but it didn't look right at all, so I am thinking there has to be a step I am not getting or doing but don't know what it is. I was surprised because my Grandmother when she was alive couldn't figure out what I was doing and I kind of gave up trying to knit and then about a month ago I gave it a try again and had no problem knitting right handed. Then I kept waking up in the morning with a sore thumb that got so bad I couldn't bend my thumb or use it. So the doctor told me I was a smart person and to stop knitting. Last night I taught myself to knit left handed and surprised myself that I can do it both ways