Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #31
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

thank you all well last night I started another one and got about a 4th the way through it when I heard a pop in my right thumb and I blew out the tendent, so today I have to go see the orthopedist. I am so glad I switched to the left hand because now I think I will be restricted to only knitting left hand and not use the right at all :(
flyboydc10 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #32
Antares
Working the Gusset

Those are some great looking dish cloths--whether you did them with your right hand or your left. You seem to be a rare breed--one of those people who is ambidextrous. I've not heard of too many people who can knit with either hand, especially someone who learned as fast as you did. Great job, there!

So sorry to hear about your thumb, though. I really hope you didn't "blow anything out." That would be awful! Who knew knitting could be so dangerous!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #33
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

thank you so much, yeah I think it is the joint because it now rolls when I move my thumb, My doctor said I should lay off my right hand and I guess I am still using it too much so tonight I am going to try and go solo with just my left hand. I love doing these cloths. When my Grandmother was on her death bed just before she passed she told me never to try and do them because they where so hard to do them. Well I am one of those very stubborn people, so after her death I started to go through everything she had and I ran upon her directions for her dishcloths ... and of course I didn't understand a word she had written so I took them to a friend at Joann's and she told me what they where and explained them to me and I went home and knitted my first one and it look huge compared to hers so I experimented and went down 3 needle sizes and I got it they look exactly like hers, and they are a fun project to do in my spare time
Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #34
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
A grandma after my own heart. If you tell someone they can't do it, they will prove they can. Worked with my kids and now with my GKs too. They just have to prove me wrong!

If you use straight needles, you could try putting the right needle under your arm to hold it so you're not using the right hand at all. Or rig up something to hold it for you. I think they might sell such devices.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #35
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
A grandma after my own heart. If you tell someone they can't do it, they will prove they can. Worked with my kids and now with my GKs too. They just have to prove me wrong!

If you use straight needles, you could try putting the right needle under your arm to hold it so you're not using the right hand at all. Or rig up something to hold it for you. I think they might sell such devices.
Yeah I know I was looking for them but since I am really not using the hand other then holding it I am doing pretty good. I have to take Ibuprofen every 6 hours or three times a day till I get to the doctors so we will see. I am working on a red,white and blue dish cloth now I need to do 22 more before I can take a break