Old 06-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Skype™ to Marg1e
Well, David: if thinking about it does your head in, just imagine what happens to the bonce when you're actually knitting one! I've lost count of the number of times I stopped knitting, turned the thing over and over in my hands and asked myself "What the ...?!".

What becomes gradually obvious as you knit away is that you're creating from the middle and knitting outwards - just that fact is enough to stymie even a practical person from Kogarah, let alone an old fart from Pyrmont!

But of course all that makes it so interesting to knit, a mœbius scarf or cowl or whatever you want to call it.

Salmonmac, I wish I could take credit for the colours; but all I can lay claim to is the ability to choose between those in the scrap basket, resulting in there being some that I didn't use! :-)

GG, I trust you're going to forge ahead with one of these?
DavidSydney63 (06-20-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I started a moebius one time...and I was totally sorta clueless about the written directions...and I finally tanked the whole thing! I'd love to see the progress on your moebius! I love your yarn BTW!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #23
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Ah, Artlady - your temporary setback (like the tact?!) was due to the fact that one really cannot learn about knitting one of these things unless one has some VISION.

The scarf in the pic. I posted was made from this online pattern, which comes with video for the CO part. As I lectured The Grumpy One, there are several methods for moebius CO, and I tried the bloody lot – coming to the decision that Christine Jones' version is the one for me.

I have to confess that I subsequently turned to her by email more than once for help. More than twice. Well, OK – about ten times! But she was amazingly helpful and willing to be so, which meant I was able to (eventually!) produce the finished object as you saw in the photo.

I currently have an email sent off to Donna Pelzar - the creator of the moebius I'm now knitting (using some of the de-knitted Enormous Project!) - asking her about length of circ. cable. When she replies, I'll have a fairly complete list of contributory points input to making a moebius that I'll see if I can turn into dot points for everyone's ... ahh ... consideration.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #24
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

Marg1e - I think a session knitting in a cafe is in order one day if you're brave enough to be seen with a male knitter (perhaps King Street, Newtown would be painless?).

:-)
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #25
Marg1e
1st Leg of the Journey

Mate! - you would need to be brave enough to be seen with someone who is on the cusp of becoming a septuagenarian!
Ye gods and little fishes: I never realised this would happen to me.
Newtown fine: send me a personal message and we'll move on from there.