Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
katrinakieren
Ribbing the Cuff

This pattern is confusing me Please Help
I am making bloomers from the book "What to Knit When You're Expecting"
I have knit flat on two different sets of needles the legs of the shorts.

Here is my next instruction:
(this is the first time she has called them by first or second leg, but since they are the same right now I suppose it doesn't matter) Both needles ended on a wrong side row so I am ready to knit.

Join Legs:
Knit across second leg. Using the backward loop cast on method, CO 4 stitches, k across first leg, CO 4 sts, PM, then join to work in the round.

^^^ So I am confused because I have never joined into the round while my knitting are on two different sets of needles. Also this will put me on the purl side of the work to join, is that normal?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
katrinakieren
Ribbing the Cuff

So confused.
Another thing is one of my legs isn't on working yarn anymore and I am not sure which is which.
So when she says to knit across second leg I don't know if she means for me add the other leg onto the same needle as the one with working yarn or not. Not that I am sure how I'd do that at the moment.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by katinakieren View Post
I am making bloomers from the book "What to Knit When You're Expecting"
I have knit flat on two different sets of needles the legs of the shorts.

Here is my next instruction:
(this is the first time she has called them by first or second leg, but since they are the same right now I suppose it doesn't matter) Both needles ended on a wrong side row so I am ready to knit.

Join Legs:
Knit across second leg. Using the backward loop cast on method, CO 4 stitches, k across first leg, CO 4 sts, PM, then join to work in the round.

^^^ So I am confused because I have never joined into the round while my knitting are on two different sets of needles. Also this will put me on the purl side of the work to join, is that normal?
You'll be working in the round so you will need to begin using either double knit needles or a circular needle. You will be working onto the right needle, ultimately eliminating the left needles as you progress, and you will join on the right side of your work, and this is how you will continue, being that you are now working in the round. Every row will be a right side row and yes, this is normal. It is probably hard to imagine, but when you knit it, it will make sense.
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
You'll be working in the round so you will need to begin using either double knit needles or a circular needle. You will be working onto the right needle, ultimately eliminating the left needles as you progress, and you will join on the right side of your work, and this is how you will continue, being that you are now working in the round. Every row will be a right side row and yes, this is normal. It is probably hard to imagine, but when you knit it, it will make sense.
Not double knit needles, but double pointed needles, I prefer a circular needle myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to claireweber For This Useful Post:
katrinakieren (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
katrinakieren
Ribbing the Cuff

Not double knit needles, but double pointed needles, I prefer a circular needle myself.
I am on circular needles now, well both legs are on two different sets of circulars, I don't actually own any straights.
I have done magic loop and made socks and hats and all that but for some reason this was confusing me.. that makes sense now that you say it, that I don't have to purl after I join I don't know why I forgot that.
I suppose It doesn't really matter which is the "second" leg then and I can just knit the pair on hold onto the larger circular. Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like my brain just revived, I've been staring at this for an hour after already putting it on hold this morning. woohoo:
Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
katrinakieren
Ribbing the Cuff

OK one more thing.. when I tried to knit the second piece onto the main circular needle the right side faced the wrong direction... I am trying to find a tutorial where someone does this on youtube because I can't seem to wrap my head around it :/ At least I have the pattern decoded lol
Is there a way you can help me find someone on youtube demonstrating this? Or maybe I am missing something really simple again.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
katrinakieren
Ribbing the Cuff

Am I supposed to use my working yarn coming off the other stitch to join the other piece? meh This is getting frustrating.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
claireweber
Working the Gusset

OK one more thing.. when I tried to knit the second piece onto the main circular needle the right side faced the wrong direction... I am trying to find a tutorial where someone does this on youtube because I can't seem to wrap my head around it :/ At least I have the pattern decoded lol
Is there a way you can help me find someone on youtube demonstrating this? Or maybe I am missing something really simple again.
Both legs should be facing the same direction when you work them, right side up. Did your instructions call for you to leave the first leg on a spare needle, breaking the thread?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Am I supposed to use my working yarn coming off the other stitch to join the other piece? meh This is getting frustrating.
Maybe you could use one of these lol

Your working yarn will be the one coming off the second leg and your cast-on stitches will be connecting the second leg to the first and next cast-on stitches then connecting with the second leg, forming a circle. HTH off to bed for me
Old 06-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #10
katrinakieren
Ribbing the Cuff

Both legs should be facing the same direction when you work them, right side up. Did your instructions call for you to leave the first leg on a spare needle, breaking the thread?
Yes she has you work the two legs separately and said to set the other aside to work the next one. I finally just put all the stiches on the main circular and knit the first leg coming up on the second with the cast on but it creates a ladder when I join since I can't pull it tight and still have my needle in the right place to knit with. I can't believe how long I've been staring at this unable to figure it out.