Old 06-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Not such a bad weekend after all!
So a couple of weekends ago I went out with friends and had a terrible time. Finally got back to my own home at 3am, looking forward to getting up at 6 to drive to Des Moines and look at houses with my Brotherling and his fiance.

Needless to say, I'm short on sleep and in a bad mood.

After lunch, we get back to Brotherling's fiance's mom's ("K's") house, and Brotherling emerges from the garage toting a Turkish spindle. "Hey, sis, do you use needles like this?"

cue the drooling. "First off, it's a spindle, and yes, yes I do."

"Well, hey, we've got this huge box of random crap from [fiance's] aunt who just died. You can have whatever you think you might use."

This is what I got:

There's a few things in the upper right-hand corner that I'm not real sure what they are. I know I've got a darning egg and some lace bobbins. but the smaller stuff... no idea. In any case, pretty awesome haul for free stuff! (I offered to pay for some of it, pointing out that one of the Turkish spindles has a $50 tag on it and the three other bottom-whorls are marked between $20 and $30 a piece... K said she'd rather give them to someone who would appreciate them.)

But, oh, there's more! "Oh, and would you have any use for an old sewing machine?"

"Well... two questions: one, does it work, and two, how old is it?" There's two definitions of old, in this case: 1) old enough to be falling apart or 2) old enough to have been made to last for-freaking-ever, you could throw this thing off a highrise and still use it.

"It worked at some point... and it's a Singer. Don't know how old."

Let me point this out: I have a sewing machine, and it is a POS. I wind up ripping out almost half of my seams. The first time I saw someone sewing on an antique (non-electric) Singer, I thought "Why would you want one of those?" but now I know: They're workhorses and they were made to last. And dang. I want one.

So Brotherling unburied the sewing machine for me to check it out. It's old. Treadle-driven. Built into a desk that still has all of its drawers. The wood needs sanded down and re-finished, but otherwise it's in beautiful condition. I don't know what it's worth, but I know it's more than I could afford (given that I'm dead broke). And this little beauty is also mine for the low, low price of begging Brotherling or Dad to load it up and bring it home next time they don't have psycho-dog in the back of the vehicle.

As it turns out, it wasn't a bad weekend after all!
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,294 Times in 2,980 Posts
This looks like the heavens opened up and showered you with gifts. Thank you auntie. Wow, what a great box of random stuff. And a Singer. My mother, a genius stitcher, used a simple workhorse Singer and my aunt, who worked in the fashion industry in New York, used a non-electric Singer with a treadle. She said it gave her greater control.
Enjoy your haul!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Good for you! Enjoy your haul.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

The little bone items with the pointy ends were used when you sewed up a corner. When you turned it right side out, these were used to make the corner 'pointy'.

Great haul!

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Thanks, Cyndi!
In my family, we just used scissors to do that job.
There's also a couple of tiny little crochet hooks in that pile
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote