Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Transitioning from knitting in the round to knitting flat
I started a sweater years ago, a year or two after I learned how to knit. I found a picture of it on ravelry:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/momo...een-aran-woman

I got pretty close to being finished but lost track of where I was and since then my tension is a lot looser. I picked it up recently, decided to frog the whole thing, and wanting to avoid seams as much as possible, have begun to knit it in the round.

I am rows away from knitting it flat; I am wondering, should I just cast on one stitch on each side of the front and back for the seams for attaching the sleeves?

Any advice for transitioning from knitting in the round to knitting flat? I am hoping I will be able keep my tension about the same as when I was knitting it in the round.
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,378 Times in 3,061 Posts
Gorgeous sweater.
You've got it. Add an extra stitch at each side for the seam. For the knitting itself, you'll be converting the sts on every other row because you won't be knitting around the outside but turning and knitting back and forth. So on the back side rows, the knit sts become purls and the purls become knits. On these rows the pattern is reversed as well.
Good luck with this. I'm looking forward to seeing the sweater and good for you for getting back to it!
claireweber (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,087 Times in 2,598 Posts
That's a lovely sweater. I'm glad you're going to go ahead with it too. I have a sweater that I've had OTN for over a year and I hope I can either match the gauge with the needles I was using or by switching sizes. I'm knitting looser too.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote