Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Teeka
Ribbing the Cuff

Almost there--one more question
Thanks to everyone who made suggestion to my post on 6/14, I figured out part of the mystery: My photocopied pattern was missing three lines of instructions! No wonder it wasn't looking right!

I also hunted around and found the pattern, in full (here) online. Phew!

I now have one more question, which is a silly one, but I've frogged so many times, I want to make sure I'm right about how to finish this off.

The decrease instructions are as follows:

Dec 3 sts at each side of seam every 6th row 8 (9, 10)x as foll:
(Work to 5 sts before marker, S2KP, slip this st to LH needle and k2tog, p1, sm, p1, sl1, k3tog, psso) 4x, work in pat to end of row.
Cont to dec sts in this way.
When piece measures 16” (17”, 18”) / 41 cm (43.5 cm, 46 cm) from beg, work Neck shaping as foll:
Bind off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows, 2 sts at beg of next 6 rows, dec 1 st each side every 2nd row 3 times. After all decs have been made and piece measures 19.5” (20.5”, 21.5”) / 50 cm (52.5 cm, 55 cm) from beg, bind off rem 68 sts.
Along each Front edge, and with RS facing pick up and K66 (70, 74) sts and work in garter st for 2.5“ / 6 cm. Bind off.

I have two questions:

1. When I get to the neck shaping (underlined), do I abandon the decreasing? It's looking like the neck will end up being enormous.

2. What does it mean by "decrease 1 stitch each side every 2nd row 3 times"? Where do I decrease, and what decrease method do I use?

Thanks for any insight!

Sell your clothes; keep your thoughts.
--Henry David Thoreau

Teeka is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,333 Times in 3,018 Posts
Wow, missing pattern lines. I'm not sure that would have ever crossed my mind.
Yes, when you get to the bind offs at the Neck shaping, stop doing the decreases.
For the decreases following the bind offs, you can use ssk and k2 tog. The nicest way to do these is to place them one stitch in from the edge on the left and right edges. (So with the RS or public side of the garment facing you, you knit one stitch, ssk, work to 3sts before the end, k2tog, k1.) Do that every RS row, 3 times.
Teeka (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Teeka
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks! This is super helpful. :-)

Sell your clothes; keep your thoughts.
--Henry David Thoreau

Teeka is offline   Reply With Quote