Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Has anyone used this technique?
I want to preface this by saying that I was raised on the "no knots in knitting (or crocheting) EVER" philosophy. Having said that, I have been having problems with weaving in ends on the slippery cotton/acrylic blend I am currently using and ran across this video and went "Hmmmm...wonder if this would work". I've used some scraps to try it out on and the knot seems to hold against pulling using all my strength. It does leave a very slight lump...with my yarn the double-knot is about the size of a #2 pencil lead...but balancing that against not being able to keep those danged slippery ends woven in, I'm wondering if the trade-off may be worth it. My greatest concern with this knot technique is that it may, sometime down the road after several washings, come lose. Again, my tests seem to show that it is lock-solid but I thought I'd see if anyone has any first-hand experience with this specific knot's stability.
The Following User Says Thank You to yarnrainbow For This Useful Post:
ABC's Mom (06-28-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
I haven't used that method but it looks intriguing. Although I have nothing against knots in knitting, I just tend not to use them. If your yarn is plied, what about a Russian join?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

Unfortunately, the yarn I'm using is too slippery and too loosely twisted for the Russian Join to work. I just turns into a mess. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
I've not tried the double knot shown. I did try the braided join and used it couple of times but went back to the knit 2 or 3 stitches with both yarn ends and leave tails to weave in method. Even with cotton or acrylic I've never had it come loose and some of my acrylic and cotton creations get some really rough treatment, such as dish rags. If you're talking about slippery more like Simply Soft, I think the double knot might be the way to try. Let us know what you think of it if you try it, please.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
claireweber
Working the Gusset

I've experimented with this knot, seems real secure. How about if you try the knot with a sample of your yarn and try washing it, roughing it up a bit, and seeing if it holds up?
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
I've experimented with this knot, seems real secure. How about if you try the knot with a sample of your yarn and try washing it, roughing it up a bit, and seeing if it holds up?
Sounds fair and reasonable to me. I just can't promise to do it right away. I have a dishcloth in the works, I'll try to remember to use it there. I'll cut the yarn just for this purpose.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Marina1109
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I've not tried the double knot shown. I did try the braided join and used it couple of times but went back to the knit 2 or 3 stitches with both yarn ends and leave tails to weave in method. Even with cotton or acrylic I've never had it come loose and some of my acrylic and cotton creations get some really rough treatment, such as dish rags. If you're talking about slippery more like Simply Soft, I think the double knot might be the way to try. Let us know what you think of it if you try it, please.
Thank you so much for sharing this, I think I'm gonna try it next time I need to join yarn.

Don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here

Every person can save up to 8 lives and help/enhance the lives of many more.
To sign up to become an organ donor:
http://donatelife.net/
Marina1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Marina1109 View Post
Thank you so much for sharing this, I think I'm gonna try it next time I need to join yarn.
You're welcome, I'm just passing it on. Jan posted that link some time back and I recently got around to trying it. I wasn't happy with it and went back to the way I've been doing it. I'll try it again, I think I may have braided too tightly. I figure if Jan likes it I probably didn't do it right.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Sounds fair and reasonable to me. I just can't promise to do it right away. I have a dishcloth in the works, I'll try to remember to use it there. I'll cut the yarn just for this purpose.
GG I guess I should have been more specific, I must say, though, you are a real sport . I was actually suggesting this to yarn rainbow, I have tried the knot that she was asking about, but now I am thinking I may need to pull out some slippery yarn and try it myself; sure I'll jump on that bandwagon.

What is the deal with knots? I've heard and read not to use them and now I don't want to. I was on the phone with a friend and when he mentioned using knots in his knitting, I found myself cringing. And then I was reading my Estonian Lace book and the ladies there hide their knots in the Nupps. It seems that there are instances where you can't really avoid using them, but maybe avoid if at all possible :
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

LOL I guess it looked like an open invite. I think I have some Simply Sucks...uh I mean Simply Soft... yarn and I might get it out and try it with it. I really have wondered how ends are managed in those intricate, delicate laces. I think knotty knitting would be a necessity there.