Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
gcp
Ribbing the Cuff

Help with translation
Hi-

I am knitting a sweater from Norah Gaughan Vol 12 called "niche". It is effectively knit as one piece starting with the left cuff. I am now on the body and doing the neck line shaping. The directions here I find confusing and was hoping for some guidance. Specifically, the directions say, "(RS) work to neckline marker, remove marker, join new yarn and work to the end. Working both sides separately work first half of WS row (this is the front) then bind-off 1st at back neck, work to end.

Next (dec) row (RS) - work first half (back) n the front k1 k2tog work tO end. Cont as established and bind off 2sts at back neck every WS row 2 times, and dec 9 more sts at front edge every RS row."

Would someone be able to explain this in simpler terms?

Very very much appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Gretchen
gcp is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
claireweber
Working the Gusset

I'm sure someone will be along to help you with this - I just wanted to provide a link to a picture of it.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/niche
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Antares
Working the Gusset

I don't have a translation either, but that's a gorgeous sweater, and I am really interested in how you like the cuff-to-cuff construction of it. I am working on a sweater that is made the same way; however, my "pattern" is much more simple than this.

Do let us know how you like it, please!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,189 Times in 2,693 Posts
I've not done cuff to cuff so I don't know exactly what you have going. I can tell that you're starting the shoulder shaping here and will do bind offs and decreases for it. What I don't understand is how you go from working 1/2 the front to binding off 1 st at the back neck. I think I need a picture.
Quote:
Working both sides separately work first half of WS row (this is the front) then bind-off 1st at back neck, work to end.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Gretchen - I sent a message with a link to this thread to a person on ravelry who has knitted "Niche". I don't know if she will respond; she posted where she had purchased her yarn for the project and of all things, it is my LYS! Such a small world.
claireweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

By attaching a second strand of yarn at the marker you have now created "two panels" much as if you were doing a bottom-up sweater and told to work the fronts separately.

It may be easier to leave the marker in place. It will serve as a reminder as to when you should use the other yarn. i.e. DON'T carry a yarn across the mark or you will close up your neck hole.

Work the 1st half of your sts (the back), switch yarns, work the 2nd have of your sts (the front). Turn work and repeat going front to back. The decreases will create the shaping around your neck hole.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,461 Times in 3,138 Posts
GG's right, you're working the shaping for the front and back neck at the same time. It's a good idea to do it this way because it'll ensure that the back and front have the same number of rows. If you find it too much you could work only the front or back and when you get to the center of the sweater, catch up with the other half. For the instructions:
On a RS row, knit up the back to the marker and join a new ball of yarn. With the new ball, knit the front to the end (the lower edge), turn (now on the WS row) and work the front to where the new ball of yarn was joined (the neck). Drop the new yarn, pick up the yarn for the back, bind off one stitch at the beginning of the row then knit along the back to the lower edge.
On the RS again, knit the back to the neck, drop the yarn and pick up the yarn for the front, k1 k2tog and knit to the end of row. Then continue with the neck shaping (bind off 2sts on the WS at the back neck and k2tog once each RS row 9 times the front neck). There are more decreases for the front to give you a slightly more shaped neckline in front.
It may help to put a marker in the front of the sweater on the RS, just to remind you which side is which. I've even put a note on the "front" and one on the "back" to make sure I don't get confused on these cuff-tp-cuff sweaters. They are fun to knit and this is a particularly pretty example.
GrumpyGramma (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Antares
Working the Gusset

Salmonmac: Other than fun, how would you describe doing a cuff-to-cuff sweater? What pitfalls did you run in to? What did you dislike about it? What are the pros and cons of creating a garment this way?

Thanks in advance!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,461 Times in 3,138 Posts
That's a good question. I think the increases for the body of the sweater on one side and the decreases at the other side can be problems. It depends on the designer whether this is neatly achieved or not. (This is where you're knitting from the cuff/sleeve and suddenly need to increase many sts on each end for the front and back.)
Also, you're stitch gauge determines the length of this kind of sweater so you need to be careful not to inadvertantly knit a cropped length sweater or an over the knee version.
One advantage is that you can work stitch patterns sideways, like the cable in the Niche sweater pattern. The different orientation is a change, too from the usual top down or bottom up design.
Antares (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Other than fun, how would you describe doing a cuff-to-cuff sweater? What pitfalls did you run in to? What did you dislike about it? What are the pros and cons of creating a garment this way?
1) I like not having the set-in-seams of sleeves. Though for seamless sleeves, Raglan is the way to go (IMO).
2) No seaming! Since the sleeves are worked cuff to cuff and the body is usually made by picking up sts, there is nothing to seam!
3) One sleeve will have a CO edge the other a BO edge. i.e. they won't look the same. Solution is to do a provisional CO, then go back and match your BOs.
4) Sleeve length discrepency. If you miscount rows, your sleeves will be uneven.
5) Shaping inconsistency. If you miscount rows, your sleeve shaping can be uneven.
6) Although it wouldn't work here (Niche), problems 3-5 can also be avoided if the garment has a provisional CO in the center and then you work out toward each shoulder/sleeve.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RochesterKnitter For This Useful Post:
Antares (06-28-2013)