Old 07-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
The reason she uses two different colors is to show that you always are working with one set of needles at a time.

Sometimes it helps to watch other videos or read tutorials, too.

A good youtube video is Cat Bordhi- Part 1: Knitting with Two Circular Needles. I can't link because I'm on my iPad so you'll have to look it up.

Thanks Jan - I'd already found both Cat Bordhi's videos, and they cleared it up for me. I just had the questions about garter stitch and any other possible pitfalls. Once I start knitting, no doubt I'll be back with more questions...

I'm ready to cast on and give it a whirl - "cautiously optimistic", as the expression goes...

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I'm not exactly sure which video you watched but I do know about using different size needles. When you knit in the round and don't turn your work the left needle is always the left needle, the right needle is always the right needle. Using a smaller needle on the left serves more than one purpose: Interchangeable sets will have 2 of any size needle and if you want to do 2 needle circular knitting, you don't have to buy a new set of needles, just use a smaller one on the left; if the needles are different it's easier to keep track of which one you should be using. All the left needle does is hold the stitches and present them for knitting with the right needle. I will use a smaller needle on the left for doing magic loop simply because it makes working the stitches faster and easier. I do magic loop because I will invariably knit with the wrong needle if I'm doing 2 needle circular knitting and make a mess. Others prefer the 2 needle method and don't have that problem. Clear as mud?

Great mud, GG
Ok, yes I get it. I don't have interchangeables, and I already had duplicates of some so using 2 circs made more sense to me than magic loop. Anyway using 2, after watching Cat Bordhi's video, looked a lot easier. I've put marker pen on the tips of one pair - because, yeah, I did see the potential for disaster...

Thanks,
Lynne (the terminally confused...)
Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
Knitting is a little different in the round-

Stockinette
flat- knit a row, turn and purl back
ITR- knit all rounds (rows), no turning

Garter
Flat- knit all rows
ITR- knit a round (row), then purl a round, no turning

Seed stitch- ITR is the same as flat except no turning

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Knitting is a little different in the round-

Stockinette
flat- knit a row, turn and purl back