Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
rodrigueznanne
Casting On

PLEASE Help! My first blanket...
This is the pattern I'm having trouble with,

Row 7 (Right side): K3, YO, K5, SSK, K2 tog, K5, (YO, K2, YO, K5, SSK, K2 tog, K5) across to last 3 sts, YO, K3.

My Questions:

1. What does (right side) mean?

2. What does the () mean?

Am I supposed to
K3, YO, K5, SSK, K2 tog, K5 - one time, then transition to
(YO, K2, YO, K5, SSK, K2 tog, K5) - until I get to the last 3 stitches?

3. If I go until the last 3 stitches, how am I able to do a YO, K3?
I interpret this as requiring 4 stitches (1 for the YO, and 3 for K3)

I've googled & looked at youtube videos, but can't seem to figure this out! Please help!!
rodrigueznanne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

The right side is the public side of garments and blankets (however, some blankets don't have a right or wrong side since both look the same). The "right side" as labeled per the pattern will be the side of the blanket that's facing you when you're knitting that row (for you, that'd be row 7). So put a safety pin or other kind of marker (tie a piece of string, for example) on that side so you'll know which side is which.

You will repeat the stitches in parentheses for the required number of times or until the end of the row, so that means you'll be doing everything before the parens first; then you'll do the stitches in parens again and again until you come to the last three stitches.

A YO requires you to wrap the yarn around the needle, but it does not use a stitch to make this increase. So when you get to the end of the row and you have three stitches left, that's correct. You'll wrap the yarn around the needle and then knit the last three stitches. If you need help with YOs, check out the glossary of terms (scroll down to see a video of YOs).

Last edited by Antares : 06-30-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Clarification
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Right side means that the front, or side that you look at, is facing you as you work on it.

Your interpretation of the () is correct, but when you work a yo, k3, you end up with 4 stitches, but only use 3.

Bring the yarn to the front as if you were going to purl and then work the next stitch. That will give you the yo automatically.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
rodrigueznanne
Casting On

Oh my goodness! I've seen the YO video before, but I always thought the YO wasn't complete until I knitted the stitch that followed (which would really be a YO, K1).. Your explanations were SO helpful!!

One more question regarding the right/wrong side..

Before Row 7, I cast on & knit 6 rows..

How could I begin Row 7 on the wrong side? Wouldn't I automatically begin on the right side?

The pattern mentions right side once & never discusses wrong side, so it has me confused...

Thank you so much for your help!!
rodrigueznanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Antares
Working the Gusset

What comes before row 7 probably looks the same on both sides, so the pattern is designating that row 7 is the right side of the blanket. That's why you mark that side when the pattern says to--so you'll know which side is which.

By the way, sometimes you start a pattern on the wrong side and sometimes you start one on the right side. The pattern writer will usually tell you which side is which.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote