Old 07-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowfox118 View Post
i had to take a break from my cloak and baby blanket... too much garter and stockinette stitch... so i made my scarf
Do you mean your stained glass scarf? That is lovely. I just watched a video about shadow knitting. That would be a good one for me to start for when I can't stand stockinette anymore. Your stained glass looks tempting too.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #22
shadowfox118
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to shadowfox118
it's really easy and fast, it's kinda like stockinette but it's a slip stitch stitch pattern thingy
.........♥ ..♥...........
shadowfox118 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowfox118 For This Useful Post:
dturner (07-05-2013), GrumpyGramma (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #23
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

Nothing like acres of garter stitch! Hope you're knitting in front if the TV, that helps speed things up.

Love the colours!!
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidSydney63 For This Useful Post:
dturner (07-05-2013), justplaincharlotte (07-13-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #24
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Yeah...

These are my three middle kids...Jason, Lauralee in the middle, Maureen on the end. The shawl is for the short daughter! The daughter that's a soft redhead right now.

I have absolutely no interest in all these huge-project-shawls you're all talking about (I'd NEVER finish one lol) but I just have to say, What a lovely family you have!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
dturner
Turning the Heel

End in sight! I am finally almost finished with the Mara. I have finished about 2 1/4". I think I'm going to do about 3 or 4 more rows. I got curious about how long it takes me to complete one row. I don't know exactly how many stitches are OTN now, but there are more than 450. It occurred to me that I had a timer on my cell phone. Well, it takes me about 22 minutes to knit one row of the ruffle. That's casual tv knitting. So, only 66 to 88 minutes to BO!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_maraendinsight.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	56796  
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #26
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I've been knitting along with you! We're on vacation in the high mountains...he Mara has been a great camping project! On sunny days I can sit outside with no project notes to fly away in the wind. On chilly days, I sit inside and watch Knitting Daily TV dvd's and work on the Mara!

You know how the pattern said to begin the 1x1 rib when the Mara was 46"? I was totally stumped. 46"? On what edge? At first, I began the 1x1 rib when the edge sitting on the needles was 46". Had to frog all the 1x1 ribbing plus 2" of the 2x2 ribbing.

I ended up using the eyelet edge that will sit along the back of the neck as the 46" edge.

Anyway, I'm 1/2" from completing the Mara. I knit the 1x1 ribbing to 1.25". And my 2x2 ribbing a full 4".

At this point, with 1/2" to go....I have 563 stitches on my circular 32" needle. Since each.two rows adds 4 stitches (the 4 yarnovers), I'll prolly have 571 stitches at binding off.

I'll use the normal bind off method, binging off "in pattern"...but I'll go up one needle size in my right hand so bind off is still stretchy.

Yeah, talk about time consuming! I will have to handwash, soak and rinse, my shawl cuz I'm using (cream) natural undyed Malabrigo Merino....and it's notoriously filthy. My wash pan will look like muddy water, and that goes for the rinse water, too. The blocking with be a huge PITA....cuz Malabrigo stretches out unbelievable when soaked. But at least the cream color will transform into sparkling off-white....even appearing white!

I love the color you're using!!! Your work looks wonderful!!!

I wish I'd had a warm neutral color, too....but all I had available in a neutral color is this cream Malabrigo.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
dturner
Turning the Heel

Wow! You're a fast knitter! I really think the Mara is probably the perfect pattern for vacation knitting. Sounds very relaxing!

I measured across the edge that goes along the neck. I had a heck of a time measuring that edge accurately, so I ended up measuring one half and doubling. I started the 1x1 at about 44", I think. It was already growing large, and I have a feeling that this is one of those projects that will grow a lot more upon blocking! I wonder if the depth might have been a better measurement for this project? Unfortunately, I didn't see the depth mentioned in the pattern. I just measured the current depth of mine, and it's already 24"--and I haven't even finished the ruffle! Blocking should get interesting. LOL I think I have enough yarn to add up to an inch more to the ruffle. I want to make a generous ruffle, because I think the ruffle "makes" this pattern. On the other hand, I don't want this thing to be too huge.

Can't wait to see your Mara and enjoy the rest of your vacation!
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #28
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I think there are some folks over at Ravelry who must have measured the 46" down the spine because there are a few Mara's that cover the butt and beyond.

Well, I'm sure not a fast knitter by any means. I really poke along with my "throwing" style. But I knit a lot of hours per day. I don't have a day job anymore, being self-employed and semi-retired at that! Plus, no little ones running around anymore. Kids all grown up, and their children all in school. No more babysitting. ;-(

I wish I had learned Continental in the first place many moons ago, cuz it's definitely speedy! But my tension is perfect with the "throwing" method....and since I'm mainly a garment knitter....cardigans, pullovers, vests, jackets etc....I don't want to monkey around with gauge.

You know the old saying: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Your Mara will be stunning. Very earthy. For blocking, if I was using your yarn, I'd pin it out on a firm surface and stream it, or mist it, or lay damp "squeaky clean" terry cloths on top...leave until bone dry...then remove pins.

By squeaky clean I mean rinsed twice or more in the washer, and no fabric softeners. All soap residue removed. All softening agents removed.

I wish I could do that with my cream Malabrigo, but like I said earlier....undyed natural Malabrigo.needs the added cleaning. No way around it. Bah.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

Divine
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #30
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Originally Posted by dturner View Post
End in sight! I am finally almost finished with the Mara. I have finished about 2 1/4". I think I'm going to do about 3 or 4 more rows. I got curious about how long it takes me to complete one row. I don't know exactly how many stitches are OTN now, but there are more than 450. It occurred to me that I had a timer on my cell phone. Well, it takes me about 22 minutes to knit one row of the ruffle. That's casual tv knitting. So, only 66 to 88 minutes to BO!!

Oh, so pretty! I think it's going to be a nice, big, wrap-around-you shawl that you'll enjoy. It will be great for cuddling up in. I have a huge one that I just love but it's crocheted. On a chilly night I wear it outside and it's better than wrapping in a blanket.

Quote:
I wish I had learned Continental in the first place many moons ago, cuz it's definitely speedy! But my tension is perfect with the "throwing" method....and since I'm mainly a garment knitter....cardigans, pullovers, vests, jackets etc....I don't want to monkey around with gauge.

So you find Continental faster? It's faster for me because it's the way I learned and I can do knits in English, purls are still not happening for me. Anyhow, I found this interesting. I don't think one method is better than another, I do agree that if it ain't broke don't fix it. I recently got the Norwegian purl down and I think my tension may be better with it. Thanks for your comments. I look forward to seeing your shawl.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote