Old 07-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
SimoneB
Ribbing the Cuff

Raglan top in the round: Live sts?
Hi!

I am knitting this top in the round (the pattern is written flat): http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sun-ray-ribbing

I am almost at the point of joining the body and the sleeves, and I suppose at that time I'll need to leave some stitches live under the arms, but how many? Also, how will leaving behind stitches affect the pattern and increases going forward? (If it does?)

And another quirk: A little further along in the pattern the number of rows in the front, back and on the sleeves diverge (in two sections I have to knit 10 rows on the front, but only 6 rows on the sleeves, and the back has 10 more rows than the front) will I be able to solve this using short rows?

Thank you so much for your help!
SimoneB is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,432 Times in 3,111 Posts
It seems from the project comments that the pattern is knit flat? Are you knitting it in the round? If so check out how many sts are held or bound off for the underarms on the front and back. Leave that many sts live (or bound off) on the underarms.
Don't let these sts affect the rib pattern. Make sure that you continue that pattern without a shift as you go.
If the pattern is written with extra rows in the back that may be for the back neck shaping. Is this knit bottom up?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
SimoneB
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for your reply!

As I wrote initially, the pattern is written to be worked flat, but I am knitting it in the round (bottom up).

Quote:
check out how many sts are held or bound off for the underarms on the front and back
No stitches are held/bound off according to the pattern, which is why I'm confused :/

The pattern section marked "Armhole shaping" simply goes:
Work 2 sts tog at each end of the next 2 rows (128 sts).

Next comes the "Yoke shaping" section with decrease rounds.

So does that mean I just add in the sleeves without holding back sts? (Sounds strange?) And do I add them before or after the 2 armhole shaping rows?

Yes, I believe the extra rows in the back are for neck shaping, I'm not sure why there are fewer rows in the sleeves than in the front, though. But would I be able to accomplish these differences in the number of rows by using short rows?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Since there are no sts held for the underarms, just do the decreases as given in the pattern on each side of your underarm marker (or if no marker, at each side of the place you've determined as the side).
Then just as you said, you'll be adding in the sleeves after the decreases, without holding back sts. You can check this by looking at the pattern directions for yoke shaping. Usually this is done in the round, even if the front, back and sleeves have been knit separately. Your pattern might have the yoke knit separately for each piece and then seamed but that doesn't seem to be the neatest way to do it. Check that your stitch count will keep the ribbed pattern intace as you knit the yoke.
There are fewer decrease rows for the sleeves than the front? Is it to keep the stitch count so that the ribbing in the yoke is continuous? I guess I'm having trouble seeing where the sleeves are missing rows. If the yoke is in fact knit in the round, the parts will all have the same number of rows across the yoke. But yes, if you need to adjust the sleeves you could add rows to them.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
SimoneB
Ribbing the Cuff

The pattern seems to line up across the yoke. (The pattern is written to be worked flat all the way, including the yoke.)

Well, here's an example from one of the places in the yoke pattern where the number of rows differs between the body and the sleeve:

97th row: P1, *Sl1, K1, psso, K2, P2, rep from * ending the last rep w P1 instead of P2 (80 sts)
98th row: K1, *P3, K2, rep from * ending the last rep w K1 instead of K2 [to be reversed]
Work 10 more rows in the same rib. When making the sleeves note that 6 rows only are worked here.
109th row: P1, *K1, K2tog, P2, *rep from * ending the last rep w P1 instead of P2.

So it happens in between decrease rows. Also, the pattern for the sleeves ends on row 122, the front goes to 129 rows and the back goes to 139.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

I scanned through the comments on Ravelry and no one mentions a problem with the row counts. Some have lengthened the entire body and some have knit this in the round but it seems to work as written. You may just have to take a leap of faith and trust the pattern.