Old 11-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
oursl
Casting On

Novice Knitter Question: HELP! Scarf Curls up.
Hi,
Total newbie knitter here. I'm using the Long Loom to single knit a multicolored scarf but my prototype curled up into a tube and wouldn't lay flat.

I've checked message boards and googled for assistance but I need confirmation.

I was told it was my use of only a knit stitch and that if I just knit one row, purl one row this should solve the problem. Someone else said I should also finish each row with a purl stitch before moving on.

This is supposed to be a Christmas gift for my Son who is, like his mother a HUGE Doctor Who fan... (I'm making him the 4th Doctor's Scarf).

Since I am brand new to this experience... I don't want to have to knit 8 inches of scarf to discover if this is working or not.

Can someone please do me a solid and confirm that this IS in fact what I need to do?

And please, I beg of you... use "Dumb down" speak because I really don't yet have a handle on all of the terms. :-) But I do have access to youtube tutorials. LOL

Thank you so very much!
oursl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oursl For This Useful Post:
bmlesqshtolzea3034 (07-15-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
Hi and welcome to knitting and to KnittingHelp!
If you're using the long loom to knit a tube then I would think that even all knit stitches around the tube wouldn't curl. You might not get a flat fold at the sides however if that's the problem. Nevertheless, knitting one row and purling one row as a tube will give you garter stitch which is a nice flat stitch. The edges may not fold flat but it won't tend to curl.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I'm not sure what your stitch looks like or what a long loom is or does. But I will say that stockinette stitch curls. Even putting a border on it it can still curl some.

If your stitch looks like bumps on one side and smooth V's on the other that is stockinette so it will curl. Think most of the Dr. who scarves I've seen have been garter stitch which won't curl. Some may have been knit in the round.

Garter stitch knit flat is all knit stitches on both sides.
Stockinette knit flat is one row knit, one row purl. Knit in the round it's all knit.

So it depends on your loom. Does it knit flat or in the round.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
oursl
Casting On

Hi thanks for the quick responses...

The loom I'm using is rectangular in shape not a round loom. The company is Boye. They actually call this thing a "Scarf Loom"

I'm basically only using one side of the rectangular loom (not both sides of pegs) on the rectangle. So I guess that means I was attempting to knit flat? I'm not tubing it. The edges of the scarf just curl up into what looks like a tube. (I wish they had an icon for Ripping your hair out. LOL)

And I wasn't combining any stitches while doing this. I was using only a knit stitch... no purling.

so...am I correctly interpreting that what I should be doing for a flat scarf is to knit one row, purl one row, repeat?

Sorry again for the lack of comprehension.... I'm one of those people who learns by doing so the learning curve on this is a little challenging.

Thank you again for the input!
Old 11-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,504 Posts
There, I can't put it in your post, but that's your icon.

Yes, alternating rows of knits and purls makes garter stitch. You might try looking at youtube for some help too. Various loom might look a bit different but it seems they all work in the same way. I've seen things about how to loom knit a scarf there. Also, searching on knitting board might produce useful results. Whatever you do, I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Yep, that's exactly the problem. You're creating stockinette and stockinette curls. So you'll need to create garter stitch by knitting one row and purling the next.

And yes we have a hair pulling emoticon. We all feel this way sometimes!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #7
oursl
Casting On

thankyouthankyouthankyou! lol

And I will definitely keep you updated as to my progress.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
oursl
Casting On

Hello again!

The scarf is going well. It's not perfect but I am sure that's the learning curve. It's flat and that's wonderful. :-)

I now have a different quandary I need to beg your wisdoms on.

Using the scarf loom... one edge of the scarf is nice and tight while the opposite edge is all loosy goosy... Is this normal or am I again.. missing some important stitching technique to keep the edges uniform?

Thanks again in advance for your help!!!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
In hand knitting you could slip the first stitch of each row. That gives you a nice chain up each edge. I'm not sure if you can do that on the loom or not or if that will solve the loose stitch probllem, but you might see if it's possible.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
oursl
Casting On

Thank you. I'll see about finding out if that's possible on the loom.

I'll let you know if it worked.
:-)

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.