Old 10-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
happynoodlegirl
Casting On

Help me understand "Making a Heel"
Hello fellow knitting friends,

I have been slowly learning the tricks to knitting, and for my latest project I thought it would be nice to attempt a pattern called the "Slouchy Boot Warmers" printed in a Dorling Kindersley - Classic knits projects book.

I understand the cabling and I have come to a part in the pattern that I cannot quite understand.

The section of the pattern I am struggling with reads as follows:
Row 64: P5, k1, p6, k1, p9 make a heel.

Making a heel
P7 turn, k the same 7 sts. K 4 rows of st st. [this is where I get confused] Use two holders to pick up the edge st (on both sides) of each of first 5 rows. Make sure opening end of the holders are the the top of piece. Before you p next row, s1 off holder and p, p7, the p first stitch off next stitch holder. Before knitting next row, slip next st from holder and k, k9, k next stitch off holder. Repeat until all stitches on holder are used. Finish the rest of row 64 with p4.

>>SO! my question is, has anyone ever used a technique like this, and if so, is there a video demonstration on how to do this?
I am very frustrated with myself that I am not understanding. It's probably very simple.

Thanks in advance!
happynoodlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,420 Times in 3,099 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
It's not the usual heel and gusset technique but it's not so unusual either. The idea is to knit the heel flap and then pick up sts along the ends of the flap. As you contiue to knit, you'll incorporate sts from the holders into the working row

Making a heel
P7 turn, k the same 7 sts. K 4 rows of st st. This is the beginning of the heel flap. You're knitting back and forth on the same 7 sts. Leave the other sts on the needles but ignore them for now
Use two holders to pick up the edge st (on both sides) of each of first 5 rows. Make sure opening end of the holders are the the top of piece. This is so you can slip sts off the holders and add them to the row you're working.
Before you p next row, s1 off holder and p, p7, then p first stitch off next stitch holder. So here you've slipped a stitch off the holder before starting the row and then again at the end of the row.
Before knitting next row, slip next st from holder and k, k9, k next stitch off holder. Repeat until all stitches on holder are used. Finish the rest of row 64 with p4.

Take it one step at a time. I don't know of a video for this.
happynoodlegirl (10-10-2013)