Old 07-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
Yes, 58 sts sounds right for the size you quoted so the corresponding number for your size would work. In the instructions section on the page you linked to it says that the designer provides links to the provisional cast on for this pattern. That implies that you'll be going back to the cast on sts, taking them out of the provisional cast on to get live sts and putting those live sts on a needle. Are there any directions at the beginning for the provisional CO? Also, see if much further down in the pattern, maybe even under Finishing, there are more directions for this. That may also give you a clue to the cast on.
I don't see any errata or problems mentioned for the one project on Ravelry.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Lovelythreads
Casting On

I was missing a page from the downloaded pdf for some reason. But I was right about the co # tho. I have a lot to learn with this. Thank you all for your help!
Lovelythreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Lovelythreads
Casting On

Hello again. Needing help with short rows. Row 3&4 directions are as follows:
Work to 4 sts past 2nd m (marker), w&t

Now I understand how to wrap and turn the thread and purl back. Do I purl back the entire rest of the way to the end or to 4 sts after 1st m?

Row 5-8 is: work to wrap st, hide wrap, work 3 sts, w&t.

So row 5 I would be knitting to that first wrapped st. Hiding it. Knitting 3 more sts w&t and work to the end or to that second wrapped st. That I made on row 4?

Ugh so confusing. I've watched the videos, makes it hard when they are following a different pattern.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Lovelythreads
Casting On

What makes sense to me is on row 4 purling back from that w&t on row 3 to work to the end. And start row 5 work to wrapped st, hide it knit 3 sts w&t.
Next it says to: work even in stockinette st across all sts, hiding remaining wraps as I go until the arm hole measures 3" from cast on.

So does that mean after row 5 there are no more w&t?
Row 6 would be to purl back to the end.
Row 7 knit and hide the w&t from row 5. Knit to end and row 8 purl back to end.
Then I would continue stockinette st till measuring 3" from cast on.
Am I getting that right?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Lovelythreads
Casting On

Only problem I'm seeing with what I'm getting is that one side isn't getting worked. So one side has more rows than the other.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Row 4 is wrap and turn. Usually you would work back (purl in your case) to the beginning on the row but it seems that row 5 is telling you:
Row 5-8 is: work to wrap st, hide wrap, work 3 sts, w&t.
So for rows 5-8 you're working to the wrap stitch, hide the wrap and working 3sts more and turn. Don't work to the end for these rows, just to 3sts past the wrap st.
The easiest way to follow these directions is to take them step-by-step: wrap the stitch and turn. Then see what the directions are for the next row. Don't assume that you'll always be working back to the end of the row.
As for only working one side, read further along and see if you don't work the other side at some point in the instructions. It seems llike you have another ball of yarn still attached to work that side.
Lovelythreads (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
Lovelythreads
Casting On

I'm officially lost. Says I'm shaping the shoulders because this is the back I'm working on. But I'm officially confused. Guess I need more help than I thought, i thought i would be experienced enough for this.. Thanks anyway.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Can you post a picture? That usually helps.

Short rows do add rows in one area to create shaping- for bust or shoulder for example.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
Lovelythreads
Casting On

I can't from my phone apparently. I guess you can only add photos from flickr. I know they add rows for shaping.. which I will gladly do! Lol the work is now almost an inch deep accept for one end that is not getting worked at all. And is only 2 rows deep. The rest are 7 rows.
Whatever video I watch on short rows adds a w&t on one end, you turn and go back the other way and add another w&t to add those "short rows"
These directions in the pattern are confusing the heck out of me.
Is row 4 (the purl back row from the w&t on 3) supposed to w&t past the 1st marker? There are 2 markers 17 sts in on each side to mark the shoulders I guess. I'm so frustrated. :(
Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
salmonmac
Mod Squad

The instructions you have are slightly different from what you may have seen in the short row video. Sometimes, as in the video, you complete the next row to the end after the w&t. Your pattern has several rows with w&t and then a row where you pick up the wraps. It's not so unusual, just different from the videos.
I know you posted the example of 16 shoulder sts (16-26-16sts) but that wasn't your size. How many sts do you actually have for the shoulders?
Lovelythreads (07-08-2013)