Old 07-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Knitting in the Round on circulars..hmmm am i ready?
I just saw this cute pinafore dress i could make for my bfff's little girl but it calls for knitting in the round.....I wonder if I should have a go.....

What do you all think? As someone who's at a low level of knitting, is knitting a dress for a 3 year old, in the round, a bit too much for someone at my level? you reckon I could do it?
ad2knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I think knitting-in-the round is easy. It's just knitting...but instead of back and forth...RS then WS...you'll always be knitting with the RS facing you. Plus, the big bonus: there's no seaming (or minimal seaming) with round knitting! I personally think the advancement from flat knitting to round knitting is a nice goal for you! I think you should try to do it!

On the other hand...whereas 'round' knittting is easy...what about the pattern you've got your eye on?
Does it call for techniques that you're familiar with? Will you enjoy this?

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,387 Times in 3,068 Posts
Why not give it a try? You'll never know for sure until you do. It's not all that difficult anyway. Watch the video for joining in the round (avoiding the dreaded twisted or mobius join) and any others that offer helpful advice. Read ahead in the pattern and see what some of the techniques are. You'll do fine once you get it started and you can always come back here for questions or advice (and a photo of the finished pinafore, I hope).
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I think knitting-in-the round is easy. It's just knitting...but instead of back and forth...RS then WS...you'll always be knitting with the RS facing you. Plus, the big bonus: there's no seaming (or minimal seaming) with round knitting! I personally think the advancement from flat knitting to round knitting is a nice goal for you! I think you should try to do it!

On the other hand...whereas 'round' knittting is easy...what about the pattern you've got your eye on?
Does it call for techniques that you're familiar with? Will you enjoy this?
It does look pretty straight forward, but thats just from reading it and i could probably be very wrong. Its from a magazine. its this one see raverly the pic is there of the pattern, obviously.....but yeah thought i'd just show it to you all.

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Why not give it a try? You'll never know for sure until you do. It's not all that difficult anyway. Watch the video for joining in the round (avoiding the dreaded twisted or mobius join) and any others that offer helpful advice. Read ahead in the pattern and see what some of the techniques are. You'll do fine once you get it started and you can always come back here for questions or advice (and a photo of the finished pinafore, I hope).
Yeah..now i've got to buy the needles lol! Fixed or Interchangeable? IF i buy interchangeable what if I never ever use them again? Argh decisions lol
Old 07-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Uhh...trust me, you'll use your interchangeables again! They are the only thing I use anymore!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Uhh...trust me, you'll use your interchangeables again! They are the only thing I use anymore!
Jan hello where have you been I haven't seen you post lately
Old 07-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Be sure to read all the comments made by the other knitters who did this little dress. You might spot information you'll need before you decide to knit it...and information that might be helpful to you while you're knitting it!

I always read the comments on a garment before I cast on. It's prevented my from a disaster many a time, especially with regards to sizing and gauge. And sometimes, I've scrapped my yarn choice because someone commented when they used it they were sorry.

Artlady at Rav
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Be sure to read all the comments made by the other knitters who did this little dress. You might spot information you'll need before you decide to knit it...and information that might be helpful to you while you're knitting it!

I always read the comments on a garment before I cast on. It's prevented my from a disaster many a time, especially with regards to sizing and gauge. And sometimes, I've scrapped my yarn choice because someone commented when they used it they were sorry.
I know. Don't worry I think its an OK pattern to try cos its been tested some people on raverly.

Now i'm just trying to figure out what yarn to use...how do you find a yarn substitute....A little confused by how exactly to do that.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
Antares
Working the Gusset

You can look at yarns that other people on Ravelry used for this project or you can find out what weight and kind of yarn you'll need (looks like dk merino) and then find a yarn that is also dk and wool (if you want it to be a warm weather dress, then stick with the wool).

Often people recommend buying only one skein of the substituted yarn and doing a swatch of it, washing it and drying it (per ball band instrux), and then seeing how you like the drape of it. Plus, after all this work, it's a good idea to use that same swatch to test your gauge (which can be different when you knit in the round and when you knit flat). Here's a video for how to knit a circular gauge swatch.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Anatares is exactly right! Good advice all around!

I found a substitute yarn for the Mara Shawl just yesterday by checking in on Ravelry. Go to the page for the knitted piece....click on the number of projects....when you're there, click on YARN IDEAS. It will tell you ALL THE YARNS other people used. You can click on each yarn category shown that others used, and see how the projects turned out, and read what the knitters said.

If you've come to the point of entering all your stash in Ravelry, the YARN IDEAS will also tell you if you have some of these yarns, too, and how many skeins you have! LOL! It told me I had 8 choices in my stash, but most of them were 2 balls, not enough. But I did have two stashes that were okay quantity! I chose one of them and cast on last night!

I also read what the other knitters said about this yarn choice with the Mara Shawl. I'm glad I did, because one knitter totally disliked her fabric (too compact) with the US 8 needle. She re-knit one skeins worth of yarn using the US 9 needle. She said the fabric created has more drape, and I know exactly what she means.

On the surface of it,.all the projects LOOK wonderful....but "drape" can't be photographed. You feel it when you handle it.

Anyway, using Ravelry's resources are a huge advantage! It's certainly helped me!

Artlady at Rav