Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Trouble with DPNs
Does knitting with DPNs get any easier? I have used them with finishing hats and haven't had any trouble at all. Now I am knitting a simple baby bootie pattern that everyone raved about, "it's SOOO easy," and danged if I can get the hang of it.

Starting out with 3 (just 3!!) needles, and 10 stitches on each. After awhile, the stitches mysteriously migrate. Suddenly there are 9 stitches on a needle, and 12 on the next. There was only 1 marker to place for an increase, and once I was done and removed it, I suddenly turned the whole thing around, don't ask me how, and started knitting back the way I had just come. (I've done the same thing with magic loop, suddenly I am knitting on the wrong side).

Also trying to knit a kindle cover for my mom, and simple knit and purl stitches on DPNs manage to get snarled. If I have to change from knit to purl between needles it gets all messed up. Just call me the frog queen!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
bmlesqshtolzea3034 (07-15-2013), Sweelicem (07-19-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,763 Times in 2,326 Posts
For some of us Trouble with DPNs is redundant. Personally I avoid them and stick with ML, I don't have to switch to DPNs I just finish with the circular needles. As for getting it all turned around, I'm sure there is a perfectly rational explanation that has nothing to do with poltergeists or gremlins, though Murphy's Law has not yet been ruled out. This video that shows how to do it on purpose might shed some light on how it happens by accident.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
it may not seem like it at the moment but this is all good experience or at least that what I keep telling myself. If you don't need to keep a certain number of sts on a needle (because of increases or decreases for example), don't worry about migrating sts. The problem of knitting back in the wrong direction in the round can be corrected by remembering that the yarn should be comming off the right hand needle when you knit in the round. So when you pick up the knitting, watch where the working strand is coming from.
jinxnit55 (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,645 Times in 7,047 Posts
Always have the needles closest to your body and the loop of knitting away. If it helps put a safety pin on the outside so you know that's the side to be knitting on. Not sure how you moved the stitches around though...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
cawhouston
Ribbing the Cuff

I always migrate stitches. For me, it eliminates ladders. If i start with 5 sts on 4 needles, at the end of the round I may have 4, 6, 7, 3. The next round I will have a different count. This is intentional. My only concern is to not lose the first stitch marker.

My first attempt with dpns was with aluminum needles and they kept slipping out. I never had any problems after switching to wood, which have more friction.
cawhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cawhouston View Post
I always migrate stitches. For me, it eliminates ladders. If i start with 5 sts on 4 needles, at the end of the round I may have 4, 6, 7, 3. The next round I will have a different count. This is intentional. My only concern is to not lose the first stitch marker.

My first attempt with dpns was with aluminum needles and they kept slipping out. I never had any problems after switching to wood, which have more friction.
I use wood exclusively, because I can't stand metal needles, so that isn't the problem. I guess I just need more practice!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Always have the needles closest to your body and the loop of knitting away. If it helps put a safety pin on the outside so you know that's the side to be knitting on. Not sure how you moved the stitches around though...
I know those tricks, but somehow, I must just space out for a second, and the next thing I know I am off to the races on the totally wrong side. Could have something to do with noisy teenaged children, DH asking about this or that, and a million other random distractions! Maybe I need a quieter place to knit, but I also like being around my family. I guess I should have several projects going at once; a mndless one, and a more complicated one (not that magic loop is supposed to be complicated).
Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
For some of us Trouble with DPNs is redundant. Personally I avoid them and stick with ML, I don't have to switch to DPNs I just finish with the circular needles. As for getting it all turned around, I'm sure there is a perfectly rational explanation that has nothing to do with poltergeists or gremlins, though Murphy's Law has not yet been ruled out. This video that shows how to do it on purpose might shed some light on how it happens by accident.
Cool! I like that girl, and I think I am on her email list. I think part of the problem is that I am not comfortable with either DPNs OR ML (obviously), and I am at the same time trying to expand my repertoire, so I am hitting a few roadblocks.

OTOH, I put down DPNs and long cables and started a small baby hat with a simple pattern of marching elephants on it. The first row of elephants has turned out great, so I feel like I have my knitting mojo back. It's funny how the success or failure of a project can be so all-encompassing.....
Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
I love the idea of marching elephants and I hope we get to see a photo.
Some of these techniques do take time and practice to learn and master. I sometimes think, "Uh-oh, a fine mess you've gotten yourself into!" but it just means I need more practice. The technique will eventually come out right and it's worth it. Good for you for trying something new.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I had trouble with DPNs on my very first stocking project. I'd always used circulars before so the entire concept was alien to me. I knit socks all the time (always have some OTN) and have grown used to them. I do Magic Loop as well, but for pure, unadulterated losing-yourself-in-knitting, I stick with the DPNs.

My personal theory is to make sure you have long enough needles if you're not going to do Magic Loop.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote