Old 07-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

WIP - The Summertime Shawl
I so like the pattern of this shawl! I definitely want to make it. So I looked at my leftover yarn and I've got just the ball of wool for this. Or well, I don't know whether it is wool It is a leftover from a long long time ago... So I have no clue what penns to use.

I made some gauges, but I'm still not sure.

From small size to larger size:
S) Bottom right, pink thread
M) Top right, on penn
L) Middle left, with bow
I know... the differences are minor... They appear more alike in the picture than they are in reality though

The thickest penn I know to be a size 4 1/2. The others I have no clue as I cannot find the measuringcard I have for these situations. I think they're 4 and 3 1/2

I'm leaning towards the middle possibility. The large one is too sloppy, the smallest one is very tidy but I am not sure a whole shawl like that is quite my style...

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
I think you'll want to know what the fiber content of your yarn is so you'll know how to wash it after it's done. https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-...w=1172&bih=641

You might work a few more repeats with the needles you think you prefer, whatever size they are, and see how the fabric feels and drapes. I like the neutral color for this pattern, it will be elegant and go with just about anything.

????? penns = needles ????? That seems contextually correct.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (07-10-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,294 Times in 2,980 Posts
They all look pretty from the photos but you're the one who can feel the yarn and see if you like the finished texture. You can also stretch out the samples to see what they would look like after you block. That'll make a difference especially with a wool yarn.
It is a beautiful pattern.
KnitBeg (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you for the reference to the 'burn test' - I'll try that later when I have the patience to do it properly (and cleaned the sink from dirty dishes ).

And yes, needles I'm mixing languages to my own Esperanto which isn't understandable anymore Thank you for pointing that out, I'll try to burn it into my memory. Penn isn't even a word

I'll just start with the intermediate needles and see how it looks/feels.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, this is how far I am now and I am almost out of yarn

I should have gone for the 2-repeats from the start, instead of 3. Oh well... I'll see what I can do with this length and if I really find myself never wearing it I can still unravel it and make a longer one with just 2 repeats of the pattern.
Or add a lighter colour and make a shawl in two colours. I've checked and a lighter beige goes really well with this I think that is what is going to happen eventually, but right now I just can not bring myself to unravel this and start over.

I have done my share on frogging on this project.
1) I dropped a stitch and had to go back 7 rows
2) I suddenly had one stitch more So I went back to find out that I had picked up again one of the stitches I had knitted together in the previous row
3) I sometimes did knit the first stitch while you just have to slip that one on the needle to create a nicer edge - when I figured that out I sometimes went back - not always
4) The row that is nearly all purls, except for the 2 border stitches went wrong too many times - I often forgot to switch from p to k for the last 2 stitches. This is what it looks like when you don't correct that:

Not too noticable from afar, but I know it is there
5) I managed to mistake the WS of the work for the RS when I started knitting again after dinner - I had done about 12 rows before I realised I was wrong

This was also the first project I actually took along with me. But when I put it in my bag I realised that my needles would probably ruin the bag with their sharp points. So I had to improvise - tissues and the sellotape they use on cardboard boxes is what I came up with. This is what it looked like:

It worked

My mother saw it, rolled her eyes and gave me this:

I still think my solution was quite OK I might be inventive with some lip balm 'hats', elastic and left-over-yarn (cause I don't think I can drill holes in the lip balm covers). I'm not sure how, but I think I can make something which is more 'showable' than the sellotape solution. Then I can give this one back
Old 07-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

The shawl looks great so far! Keep up the good work.

If you don't feel like buying more yarn to make it longer, you could simply use it as a scarf. I think that either way you use it, the shawl will look very nice.

Happy knitting!

"Who shall find a valiant woman? far and from the uttermost coasts is the price of her...she will render him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. She hath sought wool and flax, and hath wrought by the counsel of her hands...her fingers have taken hold of the spindle. Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain: the woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised." ~Proverbs 31
KnittinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittinGal For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

I love that!! Such a fetching design! Well done.
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidSydney63 For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

A scarf it is.

The full length of it is 64 cm... Not that much, but as you can see it is just enough to wear around the neck. I thought about buttons to fasten it like this, but I think I'll just wear a jacket over it and let that secure the scarf in place. Right now it is summer, so I'll have to wait another 4 or 5 months to see how that works in the long run
Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Excellent!

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote