Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Wafflevixen
Casting On

Need some help. =3
Can someone give a newbie knitter a bit of advice? I do fine on this dog hat pattern up until the ear holes. I cannot post urls in my first post apparently, so I will try to link the pattern in a subsequent post.

Ear holes:
K2, Cast off 10,Turn work cast on 11, slip last cast on stitch to right needle, slip next stitch on right need over new stitch. K2

Up until the last k2, everything goes goes great. However, I am left with 11 stitches on my left needle, and four stitches on my right needle. If I "K2" that still leaves me with 9 stitches stranded on my left needle. I tried knitting the entire row on both ears, but the ear holes ended up inverted from each other. I can tell that it will be very cute if I can just get it figured out!

Thank you in advance. =3
Wafflevixen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Wafflevixen
Casting On

http://sarahmai.wordpress.com/tonks-doggy-hat/

Here is the link to the pattern.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
It works if you K2, cast off 10, slip the last stitch from the cast off (which is sitting on the right needle) to the left needle, cast on 11, slip the last st cast on stitch to the right needle, slip next stitch on right need over new stitch. At this point there are 2sts on the right needle and 13sts on the left needle. K13. The next row is purl across all sts.
You should be able to do the same thing again when you get to the second earhole. It's like making very large buttonholes on the front band of a sweater. They'll line up one over the other.
Wafflevixen (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Wafflevixen
Casting On

Thank you very much! I'll give that a try and let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Wafflevixen
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Welcome to Knitting Help!
It works if you K2, cast off 10, slip the last stitch from the cast off (which is sitting on the right needle) to the left needle, cast on 11, slip the last st cast on stitch to the right needle, slip next stitch on right need over new stitch. At this point there are 2sts on the right needle and 13sts on the left needle. K13. The next row is purl across all sts.
Hold on, this still isn't making sense to me. If I "slip the last stitch from the cast off to the left needle" then there is no stitch for me to use later when I am supposed to "slip next stitch on right needle over new stitch."
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
When you finish the cast off of 10sts, the yarn is coming from that last stitch that is left over from the cast off. That stitch is on the right needle. Slip it back to the left needle and use the working yarn to cast on 11sts. There are still 2sts on the right needle from the original K2 at the beginning of row 15. You'll use one of those sts to lift over the last cast on stitch.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Wafflevixen
Casting On

Well that reveals my problem right there. I was using the first K2 to initiate the casting off.

Hopefully this will eliminate my problem. I'm off to try it. Thanks again!