Old 07-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Document Design for Knitting & Crochet Designers
Everyone -

Do you think there's a market for design layout for small or new knitting & crochet designers? I've seen some patterns online that look awesome, and some not so awesome.

As a practitioner of both crafts, and a technical writer/document designer by profession, what I look for in a pattern is that it is attractive, easy to read, not visually distracting, and well laid-out so that I can follow along as I work. It's the same thing that all document users want, but don't always get.

I'm tossing my professional hat (so to speak) into design layout for small business Etsy-type designers who want professionally laid out PDFs to sell to their customers.

What do you look for in a pattern?

And if you're interested in this type of service for your patterns, please let me know by private message and we can discuss off of the message forums.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,976 Posts
When a pattern is well written you don't notice, just proceed with the knitting but when it's badly writtern, what torture.
I always look for schematics and flow. I like to check measurements to make sure I'm on target for the size I want. Do I have to flip pages back and forth to get to charts and pattern stitches? Will it be easier to copy the pattern and have loose sheets to re-arrange? Should I cut and paste the stitch definitions closer to the chart?
What an interesting field to work in! I wish you good luck with joining it to knit and crochet.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Salmonmac,

Thanks for the feedback, it's exactly what I'm looking for! Schematics make construction much, much easier. I believe that a front and back photo for garments are a necessary evil, and that gauge and stitch pattern info belong close to each other. Magazine patterns are often the worst offenders, starting on p.39 only to see a parenthetical (turn to p.72) to find stitch patterns or charts drives me mad. I only wish I had a pattern that I could legally play with...

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
DogCatMom (07-14-2013)