Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
but looking close at it...it doesn't look like that is what is happening...hmmm...yes...I could do it that way...

How would I start at the ruffle and still get that 1" top. Maybe...cast on the 228....then garter the ruffle...then divide 76/152....knit up for the 76, and then carry on with the sock down, decreasing the first row down to 76...hmmm

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,128 Times in 2,637 Posts
I looked at the page with the socks again and there's a link to Charles's Youtube Channel where I found KNITTING TECHNIQUES: Three-Needle Attachment. I should have thought of it sooner, I've used this technique and someone else recently posted about it. Knit your ruffle and set it aside, start your sock top, then attach the ruffle, continue on your merry knitting way.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Crycket (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Yup...that will probably do it...that works....all this fuss for not...Ha!

The guy in the vid sounds a bit like Gomer Pile....it is making me laugh...

Old 07-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
GG, I like the idea of joining the live ruffle sts to the sock as it's knit top down. It's a neat way to do it. The ruffle will be oriented in the upward direction but will bend over toward the heel.
The only way I can see to get the same orientation of the ruffle as the photo is to start at the edge of the ruffle, knit the length you want, decrease quickly over 1 or 2 rows and knit to the top. Then go back to pick up sts, say at the row after the decreases and knit down to the heel. However, I don't know if this will make an annoying ridge.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,128 Times in 2,637 Posts
salmonmac: Good thought about the ridge. I've done ruffles and attached them with the three needle method in the video and don't recall a ridge that should be annoying, but I don't have the ruffled bag to look at. It belongs to my GD now. In the video I found for attaching the ruffle, he uses the ruffles for socks so I think I would at least try it and see how it works out. If it looks to be too much of a ridge it could be frogged and worked another way before the rest of the sock is done. Also in the video he explains how to get the ruffle oriented correctly whether you're going from the top or from the toe, the front or back is facing the part it's being attached to for one way and away from it for the other way. I can't remember which was which, I think I might figure it out if I had the pieces in front of me but I'd rather check the video. My poor brain! The video I found for ruffles goes the stitch count needed for the rest of the work in one row by knitting one then binding off two all the way across. These live stitches would be held for attaching with that three needle method. I think this could work. I want to know what Crycket's experience is. I still like the idea of a modified picot hem and the double layer of stockinette at the top. I could insert an elastic if I felt it were needed to keep the sock comfortably in place. I'd also consider making the laces more decorative than functional and knitting the cuff in the round. But that's just me, however Crycket wants it done is what matters here. I hope we get to see the FO!!!!!! My GKs might get these for Xmas. I'd only have to mess with a ruffle on one pair, I don't think my GS would want a ruffle on his.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (07-16-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Well...I have a while before I start a new project as I have just begun a pair of socks and I am trying to get a costume together for our local FanExpo (Comicon type deal), I am crocheting gloves, creating a fasinator, and sewing together a leather bag...either way...these will have to wait til at least the pair of socks is done...or FanExpo is done with ...*smiles*