Old 09-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
MissCW
Casting On

V Neck Neckband help
Hi everyone, could someone please help me with a pattern problem? I'm still a beginner knitter and I've got to nearly the end of a cricket sweater and I'm completely stuck!

When I did the back it told me (after shaping) to slip last 45 stitches onto a thread.

Now when I have come to the neckband instructions, there are instructions for picking up on the left and right side of V neck which I get but the instructions for knitting across the back neck total 77 stitches. I'm totally lost because I only have 45! I've followed the pattern to the letter and as far as I know I've done everything right.

I'm hoping its something obvious ... can anyone please help? The pattern is the King Cole DK 2940. Thanks :-)
MissCW is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Hello, and welcome!

I can't seem to access a copy of the pattern without purchasing it, but I'll hazard a guess at the answer.

Does the pattern ask you to Pick Up n stitches for the left front, (a possible centre stitch), n stitches for the right front and 45 stitches for the back, making a grand total of 77 stitches? Or does it as you to Pick Up n stitches for the left front, (a possible centre stitch), n stitches for the right front and 77 stitches for the back?

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
MissCW
Casting On

Thanks for your help! Its not a big section so I'm going to type it out if thats OK for my size so you can see it.

Neckband

Sew up right shoulder seam.

Pick up and K62 sts evenly from left side of front neck (approx 5 stitches from every 6 rows), K1 from centre front and mark with coloured thread, pick up and K60 sts evenly from right side of front neck and work across sts from back neck as follows:

K1, K2tog, (K2, K2tog) 10 times, K2. 157 stitches

It's my 45 stitches on the back on my stitch holder that's really got me confused, I don't know what I am supposed to do with them.

OMG, as I've just typed this out I've realised it is the number in brackets that should be 10 times not the whole first part. Which would equal 45 stitches. I am so stupid!

Honestly, before I posted this I had been looking at this pattern for about 2 1/2 hours lol. But I will leave the thread up as it will help someone else as stupid as me!!

Thank you very much for helping me anyway :-)
MissCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

No, you're not stupid!

Learning to read (decode) patterns is just as big a skill as learning to knit. All those abbreviations, *'s, brackets, repeats etc can look like a new alphabet, never mind a new language.

I'm glad you worked out the answer. As you found out, sometimes going and doing something else (making a cup of coffee, walking the dog, posting on KnittingHelp) can unlock the 'brain freeze', so when one goes back to the pattern it makes sense.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (09-15-2013)