Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Originally Posted by Woofens View Post
Thanks Jan! I think she did a great job.

GG, I taught myself English style, but I'm left handed so if I can learn continental it would help.

OK. Then since I'm right handed should English style be easier for me? It all comes down to what works for you. Have you tried Continental yet? I could not get the hang of knitting and holding the yarn in my right hand. I kept at it so that now I can do it, but I'm still not really comfortable with English style. Find the way you like best and stick with it. I plan on trying Knitting in the Portuguese Style soon.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
OK. Then since I'm right handed should English style be easier for me? It all comes down to what works for you. Have you tried Continental yet? I could not get the hang of knitting and holding the yarn in my right hand. I kept at it so that now I can do it, but I'm still not really comfortable with English style. Find the way you like best and stick with it. I plan on trying Knitting in the Portuguese Style soon.
Ok.... I see your point. It certainly looks like it would be easier for a lefty. I am still all thumbs with my needles...it's probably scary to watch.
I'll definitely watch that video! Thanks for the link!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 AM   #13
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
That video was cool!! My kindle won't let me make an account there so I'll fire up the desktop tomorrow. The laptop needs a new power cord.

I've tried continental and I'm even clumsier that way. I'm hoping to meet someone "in real life" soon that knits.

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 07-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #14
sandylee222
Banned

The scarf is beautiful!!!
sandylee222 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sandylee222 For This Useful Post:
Woofens (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #15
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,374 Times in 3,057 Posts
Your daughter's scarf is lovely, a fantastic first project.
I'm a lefty too who learned to knit righty and English style because that was what my teacher knew. It works.
Oh, and keep on being a "mean" mom. It's your job and you love it.
Woofens (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Wonderful! The yarn color is very pretty! Your daughter's pic is adorable!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Woofens (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Thanks everyone! I'll pass the compliments on to her!!

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Janis, I've seen the photos you've posted and your knitting looks wonderful. Whatever you're doing is working. Sometimes experimenting with different styles or different ways of holding the yarn makes a difference in the level of comfort or consistency with tension or the ease of making the stitches. Sometimes keeping at it until it feels more natural works. I looked back and found you posted your first FO on 6/23. http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=113551 It could be that you've just not been knitting long enough for it to feel natural. I learned crochet first and it was a long time before it felt like things just flowed and knitting was the same way. I actually tried learning to knit a number of times but I was just too clumsy to handle 2 needles and the yarn. I think I was finally able to learn Continental because it was so much like crochet. Having actually learned that first it was the way I stuck with and now learning a new style of doing anything - throwing the yarn with my right hand, a different way to purl, whatever - frustrates me because I don't like the learning curve involved. My point is that you do knit beautifully and whichever style you settle with is OK.

One place I do think Continental style excels over English style is in ribbing or seed stitch. Moving the yarn from front to back and vice versa is easier and faster, but Norwegian purling beats regular Continental purling there. Otherwise, I think they're equally terrific.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Woofens (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Janis, I've seen the photos you've posted and your knitting looks wonderful. Whatever you're doing is working. Sometimes experimenting with different styles or different ways of holding the yarn makes a difference in the level of comfort or consistency with tension or the ease of making the stitches. Sometimes keeping at it until it feels more natural works. I looked back and found you posted your first FO on 6/23. http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=113551 It could be that you've just not been knitting long enough for it to feel natural. I learned crochet first and it was a long time before it felt like things just flowed and knitting was the same way. I actually tried learning to knit a number of times but I was just too clumsy to handle 2 needles and the yarn. I think I was finally able to learn Continental because it was so much like crochet. Having actually learned that first it was the way I stuck with and now learning a new style of doing anything - throwing the yarn with my right hand, a different way to purl, whatever - frustrates me because I don't like the learning curve involved. My point is that you do knit beautifully and whichever style you settle with is OK.

One place I do think Continental style excels over English style is in ribbing or seed stitch. Moving the yarn from front to back and vice versa is easier and faster, but Norwegian purling beats regular Continental purling there. Otherwise, I think they're equally terrific.

I thank you, GG. I'm still learning and experimenting. I'm worried about English style because I have fibromyalgia and nerve damage in my wrists and shoulders. If I could learn continental, it would be easier on my wrists.

I am getting more confident and comfortable, though. I finished 3 dish clothes in 3 days, once I learned the pattern I sped right through them. I need to go yarn shopping, buy something other than dish cloth yarn lol. I'd like to move on to bigger projects soon.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 07-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
dturner
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Woofens View Post
I thank you, GG. I'm still learning and experimenting. I'm worried about English style because I have fibromyalgia and nerve damage in my wrists and shoulders. If I could learn continental, it would be easier on my wrists.
I learned continental for the same reason. I broke my wrist years ago, and I still have some problems with it. I wanted to be able to switch back and forth between the two knitting styles. Unfortunately, my tension is looser when I knit conti. Maybe I need more practice? Your daughter's scarf looks great!
dturner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dturner For This Useful Post:
Woofens (07-26-2013)