Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
That's the little secret about slip stitch patterns. You only knit with one color at a time but the finished piece looks much more complicated. Enjoy your different patterns, it's great experience and fun.
I agree. I made a slip stitch (aka mosaic) hat and it was very easy and fun!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Woofens (07-27-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Got my supplies ready, gonna cast on today. Will let you know how it goes. Finished the mitered cloth, but casting on 40 made it awfully small. Might do another and sew them together for a trivet.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.

Last edited by Woofens : 07-28-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: spell check hates me.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #13
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Well, who wants to count the frogs? I intensely dislike 2 color knitting. Still trying though. Grrrr

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 08-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Woofens View Post
Well, who wants to count the frogs? I intensely dislike 2 color knitting. Still trying though. Grrrr
That's a commiseration chuckle there, Janis. I often run out of fingers & toes with which to count my frogs!

How goes the 2 color Ball Band dishcloth? My trick with that pattern was to remind myself that I'm really only working with one color at a time, and to learn to ignore the hanging 2nd color as much as possible, until it's time to use it of course.

I found a link to another dishcloth in a much older thread that I can hardly wait to try, Garterlac. Just had to share with you so you can add to your collection when you're ready.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
claireweber (08-03-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Charlotte, thanks for the link and encouragement. I put the ball band cloth on hold til I can get different yarn. I've only got blue and yellow solid colors right now and I don't like how they look together. I like the look of the Garterlac, bookmarked the link. I'm doing a pattern cloth KAL right now, lots of frogs there too. I hate that stupid frog!!

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 08-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,557 Posts
Well, gee, Charlotte, you are out to get me today! I've been thinking I'd try entrelac but hadn't seen something small I wanted to do with it and now you show me that. I have more white cotton yarn, maybe I have enough for it. Now I have no excuse. Thanks for the link.

Funny thing, when I started knitting two years ago I didn't care for doing dishcloths, now I love them and they're the only kind I use anymore. When I do one and it turns out too small because I didn't pay attention to how many stitches I should cast on to get the right size in a particular stitch pattern I'm playing with I find other uses for them. They're handy to have.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
In behalf of the Ballband Dishcloth (and the other similar one, Textured Slip Stitch Dishcloth):

The texture
(front and back!) created by the pattern is really efficient at picking up crumbs, and cleaning dishes! It's my all-time favorite dishcloth pattern now. It's really worth the effort to branch out for this one!

For gift sets, I've created a Scrubbie pattern to go with the dishcloths! The green scrubbies are for veggies. The other colors are for dishes, pots, pans.

I gave this set to my BFF.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (08-08-2013), Woofens (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Artlady, I haven't given up quite yet! Lol. Just need to get some more solid colors of yarn. Hopefully this weekend. Yours look great! Is the pattern for the scrubbers online?

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 08-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #19
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Woofens View Post
Artlady, I haven't given up quite yet! Lol. Just need to get some more solid colors of yarn. Hopefully this weekend. Yours look great! Is the pattern for the scrubbers online?
Yes. Just click my words GIFT SETS in my previous post. It will take you to my Ravelry notebook folder for them.

I have finally settled on ALWAYS using white cotton as one of my colors. I like to give my friends two dishcloths: white with blue & blue with white....or, white with apple green & apple green with white....or, white with tomato red & tomato red with white, etc.

Light beige works as a substitute neutral color just as nicely. I've used it, too.

I've also come to prefer Knit Picks DISHIE cotton. It's economical, and the colors don't fade as radically as other kitchen quality cotton yarns. I like the color SWAN for my white.

Be sure to click my linked words FRONT & BACK in the previous post. A closeup of the TEXTURE quality will pop up.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Woofens (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Well that was a "duhhhh" moment! I clicked on the front and back links, completely overlooked the scrubbie link. Thank you! I bit the bullet and cast on in yellow using blue as my second color. I'm bound and determined to finish it this time! As soon as I figure out how to resize photos on my phone I'll post my progress.

I'll check into that yarn also. I don't have a nearby LYS so I'm buying my dish cloth cotton at Wal-Mart and Joann' s. Thank you again!

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity