Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #31
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
Gotcha, GG!

I fell in love with dishcloths when I crocheted, have oodles of those almost 2 decades old and still in good shape after repeated washes and kitchen abuses. I just love the feel of a knitted dishcloth, not nearly so heavy, but still heavy-duty. Regardless of craft, they are a perfect quick project that kills 2 birds with one stone: an excellent housework tool *and* learning stitch patterns. I just love economy of motion!

I couldn't resist trying the Garterlac with some left over yarn. It came out well, though I ran out of yarn halfway through, and have a half sized completed cloth. Now I have a weensy little coffee cloth to put in front of my coffee maker to catch drips. Let me know how you like entrelac. I like how it looks & feels but the technique is a mite fiddly for my tastes. YMMV.

A coffee drip catcher is wonderful! Love your ingenuity there.

The Garterlac Dishcloth was a fail, not because of a problem with the pattern, because I hadn't done entrelac before. I posted a photo of my Entrelac Adventure in my blog thread. I now know how to do entrelac so I think the Garterlac will be a success when I go for it again...soon. I did the knit backwards thing and found that picking up the stitches left handed was much easier than trying to do the PU&P from the back as in the video I followed to make my entrelac cloth. I found a site called Yarn Crafts for Lefties with knitting videos for actual left handed knitting and I'm thinking those might come in handy with entrelac somehow. Yeah, it's a mite fiddly but I want to try it in the round for a bag. I think it would be cool.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #32
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Well, gee, Charlotte, you are out to get me today! I've been thinking I'd try entrelac but hadn't seen something small I wanted to do with it and now you show me that. I have more white cotton yarn, maybe I have enough for it. Now I have no excuse. Thanks for the link.

Funny thing, when I started knitting two years ago I didn't care for doing dishcloths, now I love them and they're the only kind I use anymore. When I do one and it turns out too small because I didn't pay attention to how many stitches I should cast on to get the right size in a particular stitch pattern I'm playing with I find other uses for them. They're handy to have.
I'm amazed that you've only been knitting for two years. What inspired you to start knitting? Did you take a class or learn mostly from this site?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #33
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
I'm amazed that you've only been knitting for two years. What inspired you to start knitting? Did you take a class or learn mostly from this site?
You're amazed? Why? I'd tried to learn to knit several times and couldn't get it. I crocheted and was OK with that but I did want to knit. Crocheted socks aren't good for going in shoes, crocheted dishcloths are too thick for my liking, there are things I just think work better in knitting. I'd tried knitting more like crocheting and found I could actually do knit stitches but purls? no way. I got one of those I Can't Believe I'm Knitting type kits with a book and needles and a few other things and whaddaya know, there's this thing called Continental knitting in it. I could knit and purl! Still, I couldn't really do anything with it because couldn't figure out how to fix mistakes rows back and kept frogging. Then the inspiration: My GS asked me to make him a sweater but the yarn he picked out wasn't crocheting well. I put it aside and figured I'd just buy more yarn. I then found a clearanced DVD for learning to knit and it helped. I felt encouraged and started looking online, found this site, asked about an easy pattern, and started knitting my GS a button front hooded cardigan with pockets. See, I ask about easy, but did I listen? So, my DGS with Aspergers was my inspiration to get started knitting. My join date for this site (LOL I checked it before I said 2 years!) marks the beginning of my knitting adventures. I've learned a few things and only plan to knit till there's nothing more to learn. I've not crocheted much of anything since I started knitting, knitting doesn't hurt my hands like crochet does. Thanks for asking! Seeing your beautiful shawls is inspiring!

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (08-09-2013)