Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Help figuring cast on please?
I'm going to make a couple baby blankets for my niece, one for her 2 yr old son and one for her daughter due in October. I'm thinking of using this stitch pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...unchable-scarf to make soft scrunchy blankets for the kids. To make it baby blanket size, any ideas how many stitches should I cast on? Thanks for any and all help!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
I guess I should add I'll be using less bulky yarn also, probably baby weight.

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 08-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
Quote:
Cast on a multiple of 3 sts (plus one on each edge for a selvage).
I would cast on about 29 sts and work the pattern as written and see how many sts I have in 4 in. From there I could determine how many repeats I'd want. Depending on the yarn and needles you use it could vary a lot. That will make a nice blanket and should be fairly quick to make up. It would be nice in a bulky or super bulky yarn to make it more scrunchy.

ETA The baby yarn part wasn't there before! The bulky/super bulky yarns aren't what you want at all.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Woofens (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I would cast on about 29 sts and work the pattern as written and see how many sts I have in 4 in. From there I could determine how many repeats I'd want. Depending on the yarn and needles you use it could vary a lot. That will make a nice blanket and should be fairly quick to make up. It would be nice in a bulky or super bulky yarn to make it more scrunchy.

ETA The baby yarn part wasn't there before! The bulky/super bulky yarns aren't what you want at all.
Thanks, GG. That would even work with the baby yarn, right? I want these to be super soft so the kids can love them to death. I don't know a lot about different yarns, is there a chunky that is that soft I could get at Wal-Mart or Jo-Anne's?

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Woofens
Turning the Heel

And what does it mean by plus 1 as a selvege??

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 08-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
You could use Plymouth Encore Chunky (14sts/4") or Lionbrand Thick and Quick (9sts/4") which may be available at Michael's etc. Both are easy care which is good for baby blankets.
The selvedge stitch is just an edge stitch. You can knit the sevedge stitch every row for a beaded edge or slip the selvedge stitch at the start of the row and knit the selvedge stitch at the end of the row for a chain edge.
It's a great pattern and will certainly make a scrunchable blanket in the heavier weights. I agree with GG on the swatch. What weight is the baby yarn that you have?
Woofens (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
You could use Plymouth Encore Chunky (14sts/4") or Lionbrand Thick and Quick (9sts/4") which may be available at Michael's etc. Both are easy care which is good for baby blankets.
The selvedge stitch is just an edge stitch. You can knit the sevedge stitch every row for a beaded edge or slip the selvedge stitch at the start of the row and knit the selvedge stitch at the end of the row for a chain edge.
It's a great pattern and will certainly make a scrunchable blanket in the heavier weights. I agree with GG on the swatch. What weight is the baby yarn that you have?
I haven't bought the yarn yet, so I can get the chunky. I just wasn't sure if it would be soft enough.

So for the selvedge, I only add 1 stitch? Confused

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Pet snuggles for charity
Old 08-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

This pattern calls for 1 edge stitch but you can do anything you want on the border. You can do garter stitch or seed stitch, you could even get brave and try an I-cord border. You will do 3 stitch repeats for the main body of the blanket and then you can do something different on the edges if you want. The edge stitches can be thought of as something extra or similar to hemming an edge on woven fabric. It's an opportunity for creativity.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Woofens (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts

One stitch on each side (beginning and end of row) or as GG says, you can be creative here and use your favorite border.
GrumpyGramma (08-03-2013), Woofens (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post

One stitch on each side (beginning and end of row) or as GG says, you can be creative here and use your favorite border.
Each side. Yeah. I think I was out to lunch. LOL Thanks for seeing the obvious that I totally missed!