Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
gtrickett
Casting On

Question about needle size
I am a relatively new, self taught knitter. I decided recently to try my hand at an afgahan. The pattern uses some techniques and stitches I had not used before. It's a large project (for me, 178 cast on stitches) and in the 6 row repeated pattern one row requires you to essentially double the number of stitches. The row reads: K5, *yo, K1; rep from * to last 5 stitches. The K5 on either end is a border and the middle 168 stitches is doubled with yo increases which are dropped on the the next row to create an elongated stitch. My problem is that this creates over 300 stitches that will not easily fit on my long needles. I'm using basic US 10 boye long needles. Is there something else I can do? I was thinking circular needles but I'm afraid of confusing myself and knitting the wrong side when I should knit the right side or vice versa (I can never tell which is which by looking). Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Greg
gtrickett is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Welcome to KH and the wonderful, wacky world of knitting.

It sounds like you're tackling a biggie for one of your first projects. Very impressive, indeed!

For something that large, though, you may very well need to use circular needles. There are, thankfully, some tips you can learn that will help you keep your ends straight:

At the very beginning of a new row, your working yarn should always come from your left needle (like it normally does with straight needles). Then once you get going, your working yarn will be coming off your right needle (again, just like it does with straight needles). One thing you can do to cut down on confusion is to always finish a row BEFORE you set your work down to do something else. And if you have to set it down mid-row, use a sticky note to mark the direction you should be knitting.

Once you finish a row, you will move the needle in your right hand to your left hand and the needle in your left hand to your right hand. This is exactly what you do with straight needles, but for circs, you just pretend that the cable connecting your needles isn't there.

Also, be sure to keep track of where you are in your pattern. That should help you figure out which side of the afghan goes towards you and which side is away from you (i.e., if you're on a knit row, knit stitches will be facing you; if you're on a purl row, purl stitches will be facing you).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
gtrickett (08-07-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
After reading Antares post, all I can add is: Do you already have circular needles? If not, you'll want to be sure you have one long enough. Interchangeable circs come in handy that way because they come with different length cables; some circs have cables you feel like you have to fight with because they coil or are less flexible. If you run into problems be sure to ask, someone will almost certainly be able to help.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
gtrickett (08-07-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
gtrickett
Casting On

Thanks, this is helpful. I've knitted some small projects, like dishcloths and scarves, but nothing more than 50 co sts or so and nothing more than basic knit and purl. This pattern has increases, decreases and dropped yarn-overs. I'm enjoying it so far! It's a great stress reliever and break from studies!
Thanks again!
Greg
Old 06-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Therapeutic knitting, ain't it great??!! I find knitting does help and there have been links on these forums to articles extolling the health benefits of knitting. I think we like to have reasons for doing what we want to do and feel a need to justify it. Enjoy knitting and all the benefits it provides and post here often! I hope you'll share pictures of your project. We like pictures!

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful project and I do hope we get to see a photo in progress or finished. Antares and GG have given you good advice.
Circular needles are great to use and a must for this project, I think. They'll make dealing with large numbers of sts so much easier, you'll wonder why you didn't use them earlier.
If determining right side and wrong side are a concern here or in any project. put a pin or marker on the right side.
GrumpyGramma (06-05-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
flyboydc10
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by gtrickett View Post
Thanks, this is helpful. I've knitted some small projects, like dishcloths and scarves, but nothing more than 50 co sts or so and nothing more than basic knit and purl. This pattern has increases, decreases and dropped yarn-overs. I'm enjoying it so far! It's a great stress reliever and break from studies!
Thanks again!
Greg

I agree with the other's Greg you are going to want circular needles, I swear by them in fact I have an afghan myself on a pair, make sure though you also get some tips for the needles to prevent your yarn from sliding off the needles when you aren't knitting. Also keep in mind that sometimes the circular needs will roll as your afghan gets bigger is normal you just have to go slow and it will straighten its self back out.
flyboydc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyboydc10 For This Useful Post:
gtrickett (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
gtrickett
Casting On

Hello all. I appreciate the help you all gave me before, but I've run into a snag on my project. I've worked through one and a half skeins an all of a sudden notice that I have somehow switched rs and ws. I have no idea how this happened, but on one repetition of the pattern, the "pretty" side was on what had been up to that point the wrong side. Luckily I was using a security thread so I easily ripped the mistake and reinserted my circ needle. Damage is minimal (only one row is left mistaken) but now I'm nervous about moving forward. Can anyone tell me how I made this mistake and how I can avoid it? I thought it might have something to do with the round of the work being away from me or toward me (if that makes sense). I tried to include pics but couldn't upload them. I think the file was too big. I'll try again later. I appreciate any help y'all can give in advance.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
See replies in new thread.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=114084